Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply

Gruu

Gruu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

My (fairly new) laptop (p4, 512mb ram, etc) running Windows XP home sometimes suddenly shuts off while I'm playing games. So far this has only happened either
a) while I'm playing either warcraft 3 or gunbound, or
b) when I try to turn the computer back on within a few minutes of the other situation.

I looked at the Windows application logs, and an event called ESENT comes up saying "wuauclt (some number). The database engine stopped." around the time it crashed.

For the first few times I thought it was overheating, but then it happened after it was off (and upside down and cool to the touch) for a few hours; I turned it on, loaded up Warcraft 3, and within a few minutes (if it matters, I didn't actually play a game; I was only chatting, so there was no intense toll on the processor/video card) it died on me.

When I try to reboot immediately after, it either turns off while Windows is loading or on the logon screen. If I wait a while, it'll load up just fine.

This happened the first time in mid-May; after that it didn't happen again for a few weeks (even though I played frequently), and between yesterday and today it almost always happens within minutes of starting to play. I regularly run antivirus and windows update, and I even tried turning on automatic updates (which didn't help).

(An aside: in March, there was some problem with the motherboard, which was replaced; I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem)

What is wrong, and how can I fix it?

Thank you in advance; any help is very much appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

Gruu

Gruu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Does anybody have any suggestions?