Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Seagate External HD malfunction

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I plugged it into a USB port and backed up some files, so I know it transferred from computer to the EHD. Then I attempted to delete a folder from the EHD. It just seemed to hang and not really do anything, even after 15 minutes. I then tried to cancel the operation, but it still didn't do anything. I went to Task Manager and tried to stop the process there - nothing happened. Then I tried to restart the computer, but it froze - even trying to power off wouldn't function. So I unplugged the EHD, then the computer re-started, but when I plugged in the EHD again, it never showed up in the things in the COMPUTER file in Windows Explorer. I click on the EHD icon in the Task Bar and it said it was searching for a driver (which it never did before). This went on for 10 minutes. I finally unplugged the EHD from the USB with no idea what went wrong or how to fix it.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 629 posts
Have you tried plugging in your external hard drive to a known good working computer that opens other USB hard drives with no problem?

The above should give you a clue as to whether its your computer or the external hard drive that is causing the problem.

If its the external hard drive that is the problem then it may be worth running the chkdsk command with the r switch from a known good working computer... but before you do this to be on the safe side take an image of your external hard drive keep it on a separate drive.... if you don't already have a good imaging application installed then consider Macrium Reflect free.

Regards
paws

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I can only try with a public library computer. I was planning on testing it there when the library is open again (it's a small-town library with limited hours). Can you give specific instruction on how to run the chkdsk?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 629 posts

its Ok to use a public library machine (as long as they are OK with your plugging your external USB drive in it, but if you can use a chum's machine it may free up the library machine for other users (chkdsk can take a while to run all 5 passes)

Here's some info on running chkdsk on an external drive

http://smallbusiness...rive-81424.html

I would be inclined to type cmd at the search box and then right click on cmd.exe where it appears above.... and select run as administrator.

the command you need is as follows:

chkdsk x /r and press enter

Note substitute x with the letter Windows allocates to your external drive

Regards

paws

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

I was also questioning why when I attempted to delete a folder from the EHD, instead of saying "deleting" it said "recycling".

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Right click Recycle Bin and select your external external HDD. Place a check mark for  "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted" you should also place a check mark for "Display delete confirmation dialog".

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1. SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.

2. Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found. Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on. This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3. You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options. Please click on Long Generic Test

4. This will start the scan. When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5. The test will indicate either Pass or Fail. Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6. Click on Help, then click on View Log File. If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by FreeBooter, 15 October 2017 - 10:54 AM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Does the EHD have to be plugged into the USB to do these procedures?

FreeBooter

FreeBooter

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts

Yes connect the EHD into USB port.