Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using Anki on a Mac

• Please log in to reply

SamuelB

SamuelB

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi all,

I'm trying to run a language learning application called Anki from a USB. The application usually saves learner data to the terminal, but I want to be able to use my profile on multiple computers, so I have the learner data on a USB. Basically, I want the programme Anki to use the data on the USB when I open it and then save my data to the USB when I close it. I checked with the developer of the software, and they said it is possible to do, and pointed me towards their website documentation. It gives the following instructions along with an example:

Instructions:
On a Mac there is no easy way to alter the behaviour when clicking on the Anki icon, but it is possible to start Anki with a custom base folder from a terminal:

Example:
open /Applications/Anki.app --args -b ~/myankifolder

I’m not a Mac user, and so don’t understand what this means - a custom base folder? I presume the last part -b ~/myankifolder is where I would type the address of the learner data on the USB, but haven’t been able to figure out how to do it. If you have any idea what I should do, please get in touch!

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Hi SamuelB and welcome to our forums

If you want to run anki from a usb using a Windows computer( not a Mac) then take a look here as its seems to cover the steps your require

https://www.reddit.c..._anki_from_usb/

Regards
paws