Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd behaviour of an IPad

Best Answer batpark , 18 October 2017 - 08:14 AM

Spyware Dr.: Bingo. I followed your suggestion --- opened Yahoo.com on the "bad" iPad, signed in --- and the "bad" iPad now receives email.I do not understand why it failed to receive email before... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

My desktop PC and one of two iPads that are connected to a common router handle email messages normally but one of the iPads (an older model) does not. The "bad" one says it cannot receive email messages because the device is not connected to the server --- all the while the device shows that it IS connected (and the same device DOES download and display current newspaper web pages). 

Can someone explain what might be going on? Why would the "bad" iPad handle websites but not my email? FWIMBW... I am using Yahoo mail.

Thanks. ..... batpark

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

What happens when you go to http://www.yahoo.com, click the Mail (envelope) icon over on the top right and then sign in?

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
✓  Best Answer

Spyware Dr.: Bingo. I followed your suggestion --- opened Yahoo.com on the "bad" iPad, signed in --- and the "bad" iPad now receives email.

I do not understand why it failed to receive email before but whatever, the problem is fixed. Once again, thank you. ........ batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Excellent news! Thanks for letting us know it worked,

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Doc: I am afraid I declared victory too soon. My "bad' iPad, the older model, continues to receive web sites (like nytimes.com) fine and continues to SEND email messages but does not RECEIVE email--- all the while displaying message " Cannot Get Mail The connection to the server has failed." ... while the connection is perfectly good.

A mystery.   .... batpark

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

POP (Post Office Protocol) setting for Yahoo Mail

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html