So my problem summarized:
- when cable at dorm is plugged in, windows troubleshooting gives "not a valid IP configuration".
- cable at home DOES work, no problems there.
- tried reflushing through cmd, putting in a static IP, various other troubleshooting things, no effect.
- new PC so did nothing with settings.
- the cable on dorm did work on old PC, but that also took a while.
- pinging gives a result with 127.0.0.1, pinging a site does not work.
My questions: is it possible that the ethernet requires some special settings? the dorm keeper said there is no such thing installed, he did reset the router several time. I have tried to play with various settings but without result.
Will post other info like ipconfig (/all) if necessary.