Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nightmare

• Please log in to reply

KGH

KGH

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Hi

I just upgraded to an Abit AV8 3rd Eye board and AMD 4000+. Installed everything last week and everything was working perfectly.

The CPU was running a little hot and it was suggested to me that I may have applied too much arctic silver when installing the cpu and that I should remove and reapply a lesser amount.

Problem 1

Thinking this advice sounded reasonable, I disconnected the heatsink and attempted to remove it. It proved difficult but came out (I used the wriggle method and wasn't applying a great deal of force)...with the cpu attached to it, obviously without having the ZIF lever released.

Would this have done any damage to the cpu's integrity? None of the pins appear bent and none are missing.

Problem 2

I cleaned the arctic silver from the heatsink and cpu. As I was getting ready to reinstall, I noticed that one of the cpu pins had arctic silver on it. I'm really not sure how, but I couldn't believe it.

I don't know what to do? Do I try and clean it off the pin or is the cpu toast? I tried to boot up and mobo and everything seemed as though it was working

EDIT: Just tried booting up, having remvoed the AS from the pin as much as possible. Am now getting continuous beeps in a ee or tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by KGH, 18 June 2005 - 03:51 AM.

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

I noticed that one of the cpu pins had arctic silver on it. I'm really not sure how, but I couldn't believe it.

i cant believe it either lol,

but if you cleaned it off and there is none left it should be ok, unless you really pulled it out hard then it might have damaged it, or if you handled it for ages then static could have built up damaging it, not sure if it does with CPUs but it def does dammage memory.

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I put it straight back in the holder it came with whilst I cleaned it and have then only touched it again to reinsert into the motherboard.

Still getting the beeping which doesn't sound good.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Am now getting continuous beeps in a ee or tone.

This was the same sound my computer made when the CPU was overheating. I took off the heatsink and applied more thermal paste and it started up fine. I think you should try again with the artic silver, if your still up for it... :tazz:

KGH

KGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have managed to stop the beeps and can boot and operate now. Reseated the RAM and everything else. CPU is still running warm but main problem now is BSOD 'IRQ EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN' errors.