Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

COM Error crashes computer when trying to email

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,896 posts
  • MVP

Kaspersky is a bit on the paranoid side.  I don't see why it is blocking Console Window Host (more or less the Command Prompt) and it doesn't seem to like MBAM either but I think the log doesn't show what it is blocking on the firewall.  Just turn it off for a trial and see if anything changes with QB.

https://help.kaspers...n-US/128210.htm

Advertisements

shorthaul99

shorthaul99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

For what it's worth, I was working in QB today and accidentally emailed an invoice and then knew it was going to crash but it didn't and responded like normal. I guess some adjustment we did a couple of days ago did the trick?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,896 posts
  • MVP

Sounds good.  Hope it stays fixed.

shorthaul99

shorthaul99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Of course it's back!! I am so frustrated at this point...how do you want to proceed boss man?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,896 posts
  • MVP

Try turning off the Kaspersky firewall for a test.

shorthaul99

shorthaul99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

No dice. Still having the same issue even with firewall turned completely off.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,896 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Try running Process Monitor:

download Process Monitor

http://live.sysinter...com/Procmon.exe

Save it to your desktop  Close as many programs as you can.  Run Process Monitor by right clicking and Run As Admin.

As soon as it starts, File, then uncheck Capture Events.  Edit, Clear Display, Then Start up QB and get it ready to send an email (or whatever is failing).  File, check Capture events then quickly have QB send the email.  As soon as it fails, File, then uncheck Capture Events.  (The logs get very big quickly so we try to limit logging to just the time period of the error.)

File, Save, All Events.  You can use the native format.  Give it a name you can find again.  Close Process Monitor then zip up the log you saved. 

You will need to use a file sharing service so you can upload the file, send me the link then I can download it.  (It will be too big for the forum to handle.)

Pick one of the free services unless you have one already.  http://www.freemake....-fast-and-safe/

Then post the link to the file.  (Make sure you have allowed other people to see the file - some of the services default to private mode unless you tell them otherwise.)

shorthaul99

shorthaul99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

As soon as I try to get it to capture, every single time it allows the password box to open up and never goes to Error...tried 3 more times by completely shutting down and back up and same thing but on the last shutdown, the computer froze on the start items screen and stayed there. I held down power button and reboot back into normal windows etc. and now every time I open up QB, it gives me the window of elevated command like "did I ask for this program to fire." It did that the last 2 times. I'm at a loss :smashcomp:      :ranting: