Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

COM Error crashes computer when trying to email

• Please log in to reply

shorthaul99

shorthaul99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

AvastCrash#2.jpg

Crashed again after disabling Trace Disk IO Calls...

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,011 posts
  • MVP

Did it leave you any files on the desktop?  It usually creates a log file and also a copy of the mbr.

It's possible that Kaspersky doesn't like it and is killing it since the last line said it was checking a Kaspersky file.  Not sure I've ever run it on a Kaspersky protected system.

Usually it only crashes in both modes when there is something wrong with the file structure.  It might be worth running a disk check to make sure there is nothing wrong there:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check.

Reboot and the disk check should start.  It takes several hours depending on the size of the disk and the speed of the CPU so you might want to run it at night.

I usually follow up with

sfc /scannow

in case it removes a bad sector during the check:

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).

sfc /scannow

(SPACE after sfc.  This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:
findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt
notepad %UserProfile%\desktop\junk.txt

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter if notepad does not open.  Copy and paste the text from notepad into a reply. 

Then I run VEW to make sure there are no new errors.

Have we run Rogue Killer?

Let's run Rogue Killer

http://www.adlice.co...iller/#download
Portable 32 bits
Portable 64 bits

Download and Save.

Right click on the downloaded file (RogueKillerX64.exe or RogueKiller.exe)  and Run As admin

Start Scan
Start Scan

Will take about 20 minutes to complete.

Open Report
Export TXT (save it to your desktop as rk) Save

Do not let Rogue Killer remove anything until you hear from me.  Leave Rogue Killer up (but minimized) so you won't have to rescan.

Open rk.txt and copy and paste it to your next Reply.