Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hesitation geforce 6

• Please log in to reply

crazy_hobo

crazy_hobo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all, :tazz:

I'm on the point of buying a new graphics card for my newly created PC:

Though im hesitating between the GeForce 6800 GT and the GeForce 6600 GT.

Sure a dummy can say that the 6800 GT is the ebst choice, though you have to take in count that the card costs 349 Euros where i live so a bit more than 349 bucks, hence REALLY expensive for just a graphics card.

On the other hand the 6600 GT has very respectable performance and costs 214 euros ( a bit more than 214 bucks).

So that's about a 135 dollar difference between both cards, sure the performance can make up, since between both there's a huge gap - architecture wise and all the other underlying specs. So here's the deal:

Is the 6600 GT performant enough to blaze through all recent games ( HL2 , DOOM III, Battlefield 2 ;) ) with of course stable FPS ?

For if it can , well the 135 dollar difference could in the future enable me to just buy another card (by adding a few bucks) and still have the upper hand on games graphic wise.

OR

Would you all say that the 6800 GT should be taken right away , guaranteeing myself a good hard time of hardcore gaming all out max for i dont know ... all the way to Unreal 3 engine? :tazz:

Thanks for answering me with information and detail , for saving money is always great if you can also gain a graphic performance still very respectable. ;)

Advertisements

nathen555

nathen555

Geek In Training

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
Oh yes you should go for the 6800GT its fast and superb for doom 3 i have that card and i have had no problems 6800GT is a much better card cuz thats why they put 2 of them in the new Playstation 3 :tazz:

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
6800 GT is the better one, but its not just the graphics card, you should have atleast 512mb ram and a good proscessor for running big games, UT 2004 was a huge game but for the best you needed about 1GB ram and huge graphics card and a decent processor :tazz:

and of course Broadband for multi-players ;)

darkkammic

darkkammic

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Unless you really think you need a real high end card, just buy one that will work great and not cost a fortune. BF2, UT2004, etc work great with my GeForce FX 5700, and it only cost $100, ($80 after rebate.) www.pricegrabber.com. And with it you get 256 ram, which is far superior to the $300 card with 128.

DK

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

which is far superior to the $300 card with 128.

210.1 vs. 124.7.... I would disagree.
Even though more memory certainly makes a difference, the FX5700 doesn't outperform the 6800GT with the added memory.

Back on topic. crazy_hobo, your question is a tough one to answer. I would lean towards the 6800GT too. However, just because the 6800GT is higher end, and performs better, it also has a higher chance of not being perfect (e.g. drivers, pixel shaders, texture rendering, etc...). The 6600GT is a much more stable video card and I have heard less horror stories over it than the 6800's.

Bottom line: The 6800GT is much better, will last longer, and worth the extra money, if you get a good one.

Hope this helps! :tazz:

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Go for the 6800 gt its going to run the games even smoother than the 6600, you can even overclock the 6800 gt to ultra specs. The 6800 ultra is 10% faster than the gt version so you cant go wrong with a gt.

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Umm you guys are stupid. I have the 6600gt and I can play HL2 on 10x12 with max settings (Not AA or AAA) And I get 50FPS so get the 6600gt. Its a good card and proforms better than the reg. 6800.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
lol, you need to watch your mouth i can play hl 2 with everything yes everything to the max anistrophic filtering 16X, anti-aliasing 6X, water detail reflect all, everything high and doesnt ever get below 80 fps rarely gets below 100 fps. It runs over 100 fps

MOLEXRULZ

MOLEXRULZ

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
Well the 6800 is a faster card but for a person who just wants the games to look decent and be playable the 6600gt is fine. Its purely budget based. For me I didn't wanna spend at the time 500$ on a card just so it looks prettier. WITH A 6600GT YOU WILL SAVE CASH. AND BE ABLE TO PLAY ALL THE LATEST GAMES AT 40+FPS. May I remind you the human eye only sees at 23fps

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Umm you guys are stupid.

Ouch! :tazz:

He was talking about the 6800GT not just the regular 6800 (both of which run much better than any 6600GT), so looks like you should be pointing the finger at yourself there when shooting off insults....

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
the 6600 gt is the best bang for your buck right now. If I was you i would hold off though because the 7 series cards are comming to stores soon which will knock the 6 series cards price down alot.