Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Can't Communicate With Device

• Please log in to reply

bug2

bug2

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Lately I have been getting problem loading page and I have to reconnect to my internet. It just happens randomly not all the time, but is annoying. When I clicked on troubleshooting I got this message "Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server)" error when I try to connect to the Internet?

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Try changing your Primary DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS Server to 8.8.4.4

(These are free Google DNS Servers).

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Thank you for your reply, but but I have no idea how to do that.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Which version of Windows?

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

windows 10. It's weird so far today it has not done it all day. Could it be my settings for wifi or my provider?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

May have been a temporary problem with your ISP DNS. If you'd still like to change, (it's easy), Google: how to change dns server settings in windows 10

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Thank you. I will try that if it happens again. So far today okay too.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Sounds like a plan. :)

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

So I changed the DNS server to the above numbers. Only worked a little. So I changed back. I unplugged my modem. It is working horribly. I have to reconnect it  constantly.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

"Only worked a little."? Were you still getting the:

"Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (Primary DNS Server)"

error?

Edited by SpywareDr, 22 November 2017 - 08:44 AM.

Advertisements

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

sometimes, other times it just hangs up and I have to reconnect. Could it be my router?

Edited by bug2, 22 November 2017 - 07:00 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Could be but, it could also be anything else between you and the internet, including your ISP.

When that computer is having a problem connecting, does another computer connected to the same router have the same problem at the same time?

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

my sister said she has no problem, but about 6 months ago she did. Our Amazon tablets work fine. So then it must be something to do with our computer?

bug2

bug2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

I am not sure if I have the correct settings as I am not overly computer savvy. When I click on properties it says I am set to private not public. Is that correct? When I click on view computer and devices, it says Network discovery is off click to change. Is it suppose to be off? It will say Hmm we are having trouble connecting. Server Not Found. I use Mozilla. I am going to use Edge as my browser for a day or two and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by bug2, 23 November 2017 - 04:29 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

"Private" and "Network discovery is off" are fine.

When it says "Server not found", what page/website are you (or Mozilla) trying to connect to on the internet? Maybe that server is down, (temporarily?).

If Edge is working fine, try setting your Mozilla Home Page to the same Home Page you use in your Edge browser.