Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Organizing digital inages

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

11-2-17

Plan for building a consolidated collection of my digital images, to be stored and indexed on a W10 PC

Introduction -- With only low to middling technical proficiency, I dabble with PCs, iPads, and an Android phone. Over many years I have acquired thousands of digital images, taken on internal and external digital cameras and obtained from email. These images now sit in dozens of folders on these devices, in jpg and many other formats. Most of these images are not annotated.

I am considering taking on the job of bringing order to this wild collection and am thinking of how to go about it. To that end I have developed this plan and, before starting, am asking for advice from experienced GtGers.

My Objective -- To inspect each image, comb out duplicates and worthless ones, and add brief annotations to many of them; to store the images in a single master folder (possibly on an external memory device attached to a W10 pc); and then to build an index-like catalog to facilitate retrieving them. My principal aim is to save the images for my grandchildren; I am far less interested in enhancing the quality of the images.

Steps -- I see these steps:

a. First, I would move all the images (from my PC, two iPads, and one Android cell phone to a common folder on the pc (possibly on an external memory device attached to the W10 pc).

b. Second, I would select an existing photo management system (something like the successor of Picasa) and install it on the W10 pc.

c. Third, I would use the Picasa-like photo management system to view each image, deleting some and annotating some and to a limited extent enhancing the quality (rotating images, maybe some cropping, etc.)

d. Finally, I would use the selected photo management system to build a searchable index.

Questions --

1. Is there a particular book(s) or web article(s) I can consult that discusses this kind of job?

2. Which photo management system should I select? -- The system should allow me to view photos easily, to crop them, and to annotate them. Should I go with a widely-used free system (like a Picasa) or would it be advisable to select one that costs some dollars?

I would appreciate your advice. .... batpark

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
There are a lot of options available. You cant go wrong with Someth8ng Adobe Photoshop Elements. Whatever you choose i would recommend saving your photos to a cloud backup such as free Google Photos or other alternatives

https://www.pcmag.co...,2369237,00.asp