Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I'm admin, but I don't have permission to do anything?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

purpleviolet

purpleviolet

• Pip
  • 3 posts

So, a week ago I noticed that my laptop was infested with Trojan virus thing, I'm not even sure if it was a real virus or not, but anyways, I decided to reset the pc to factory setting since I'm paranoid and I know little to nothing about how to deal with viruses and those stuff, and it won't hurt to refresh the laptop once, right? So all was good for a week, laptop was so much slower but I didn't really mind, but then two days ago it started to get all weird. I can't install, uninstall or access some stuff in control panel without the administrator's permission. The weird thing though, is that I'M the administrator, and there is no other user in this laptop. So how am I supposed to give permission to myself?

Another thing that might be noted, I installed uTorrent from a random website before this started, while installing, I kept clicking Next without reading the content (silly thing to do, I know). Then I noticed that it installed with it Avast Free Antivirus and Web Companion. I have no idea if they're the cause of this or not, since I read somewhere that the antivirus can sometimes take admin privileges or something? I don't know. But anyways, I tried to copy a guide somewhere to allow me admin privileges again, but I don't have access to open windows firewall. Then I tried to uninstall them, but again, I have no access. I tried to make myself admin through the cmd by writing "net user administrator /active:yes" but I got "Access denied."

I have looked up solutions for this, but nothing seems to be working. I've tried the "right click folder > Properties > Security, then add your account" but it showed that my account already had access to it? I've also tried to uninstall from regedit, but it won't even let me open the regedit thing since I don't have permission to access it.

I figured that my last choice was to reset the laptop once more, but as I tried to do so, it said "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made"

I literally can't do anything in this laptop other than browsing the net, I'm denied access to everything else and it's driving me crazy! I've been trying to look up solutions for the past two days and absolutely nothing works. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. I know that it's obvious from the way I'm trying to convey the problem, but I have NO idea how to deal with computers, and I don't speak computer language either, so I'm sorry if I missed some critical information that I should say.

I don't know if those are important but I'll include them just in case:
- After this started, the Start menu sometimes would ignore me when I try to click it and I have to wait for a while till I try again. I can open browser and some random folders, so it's not like the laptop was freezing or anything
-It literally takes a whole minute or more of it ignoring me before showing the "You don't have the permission to access this item" when I try to install or uninstall, or even open some stuff.

Also, I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong section! wasn't sure which one would be more appropriate.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   purpleviolet,

So, a week ago I noticed that my laptop was infested with Trojan virus thing, 

Some malware is so deep rooted that not even a full format of the hard drive will clear, please see the GTG malware redirection info below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

purpleviolet

purpleviolet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, phill!

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I haven't even considered that this might be the doing of a virus, as I figured that they were all wiped out. I'll do as you asked and update you later. Again, thank you for replying, you have no idea how reassuring it is to know that someone is willing to help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You are welcome purpleviolet  :)

Chances are that it may not be malware but in view of the previous Trojan it is best to be safe, you are in the best of hands with the GTG malware experts and you will hopefully be pleased to know that the tools that they use over there will most likely fix things even if it is not a continuing malware problem.