Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BT Voyager 1040 Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply

Tyro

Tyro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows XP sp2
AMD 3500+
1024 MB DDR Ram
200Gig HD

I am running a BT Voyager 1040 Wireless Desktop Adapter with wireless connection to BT Voyager 2100.

I have no problem with the wireless connection from both my laptop and desktop to the network, however when my desktop is connected wirelessly to the internet, performance drop off considerably, i.e. CPU usage 90%-99%, 600mb - 800mb ram use and the HD is constantly accessed and broadband connection seems very slow.

If connect to the internet via wired ADSL modem, the PC/internet flys’.

My laptop (Pentium M 1.60 GHz/400MHz FSB, 512MB ram & 80gig HD) suffers from none of these issues when connected wirelessly.

What's the problem?
What's the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, it sounds like you may be infected. I would suggest going to the Malware Forum, follow the instructions at the top of the page, give your system a scan and post the logs as instructed. A Malware Expert will review your logs and tell you if your system has anything that would be causing this. If they find your system clean, I apologize for a run-around, come back to this forum and we will see what we can do.

Greazy Mcgeezy

Tyro

Tyro

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the swift reply Greazy Mcgeezy. ;)

That was my original thought too, however I scanned my HD and one or two progs were lurking on the drive but these were removed and the problem still persists.? :tazz: