Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive reading & writing speed extremely low (probably IDE @ P

Best Answer Lillebror , 11 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

..and the channel now. Next project will be a replacement of a broken laptop screen on a Lenovo T410. See u then!! Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Lillebror

Lillebror

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi,

when/after checking my notebook (**) for malware lately (in another form: it is obviously malware-free), it extremely slowed down, all of a sudden. After checking a lot of things to fix it, I ran PassMark Performance Test 9.0. The results were ok, but with exception of hard drive performance, being REALLY low:

reading speed: 2.45 MB/sec & writing: 2.28 MB/sec

[It's a Fujitsu MJA25000BH G2, it has usually a disk mark of 150 or so - I've got 21!!]

From further research about this topic, it followed that this is often caused by the IDE chanel for the drive working in PIO mode, instead of DMA mode.

So I checked the device manager, and really that's the case for one of the chanels!

However, it is on auto-detect and greyed out.

How to manually change it back to DMA mode?

Thank you very much for your help!

Lillebror

(**) It's a LENOVO U550, 2x Intel U7300 @ 1.3 GHz

with Windows XP Professional x64 OS (rather rare one)

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Lillebror,

The info that I can find says that the Fujitsu MJA25000BH G2 HDD is SATA and could potentially be up to eight years old so would be expected to be showing it`s age, see specs here DMA is already enabled on SATA HDDs which would explain why there is no way to turn it on.

(**) It's a LENOVO U550, 2x Intel U7300 @ 1.3 GHz
with Windows XP Professional x64 OS (rather rare one)

Not sure what you mean by the above but if you mean the notebook having 64-bit XP Pro on it all that means is that the HDD was formatted to remove Windows 7 and install XP, may have been a good idea years back but being that XP is no longer supported running it nowadays comes with risk.

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Many thanks!! The hard drive is well advanced in years, for sure. The thing is that the slow-down came suddenly. I found the information that in similar cases the IDE chanel autonomously is changed to PIO mode (in a sort of protection mode for a "stressed" drive). I think that exactly that happened here. The respective chanel reads for the transfer mode: "DMA if available"., and it says that it works in PIO mode now.

I'd like somehow to get back from PIO to DMA mode for the drive.

[Simply because I'd like to back up my data on the disk to an external drive. This is kind of challenge with the mentioned disk read speed. :geek:  . If done, I will replace it with a new SSD - but that would be another task & post..]

So my specific question is: How can I do this (if at all)? Using the troubleshoot option in the device manager tab for the respective IDE chanel? Or better uninstall the chanel in device manager, then re-install with 'scan for hardware changes'? Or do you have even another proposal? Any experience for similar tasks?

Again really many thanks for your help. It is highly appreciated.

Lillebror.

PS: Regarding the OS statement: Yes, I did replace Win 7 with the mentioned OS, just my personal preference, as I found XP most convenient thru the years. You are probably right with the risks nowadays. Will re-think it when installing the new drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Many thanks!! The hard drive is well advanced in years, for sure. The thing is that the slow-down came suddenly. I found the information that in similar cases the IDE chanel autonomously is changed to PIO mode (in a sort of protection mode for a "stressed" drive). I think that exactly that happened here. The respective chanel reads for the transfer mode: "DMA if available"., and it says that it works in PIO mode now.

Not sure where you read this but as mentioned in my reply #2 your HDD is the SATA type and DMA is already enabled on SATA HDDs by default, can you post a screenshot of the HDDs properties as shown in the Device Manager, I havnt used XP for quite a few years so cannot remember the exact steps so I have included an attachment below of what we need to see in your screenshot.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

You are welcome btw  :) 

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Thanks a lot.

The second option for the transfer mode is: "PIO Only".

Best.

Lillebror

Attached Thumbnails

• prim_IDE_advanced.JPG
  • IDE_1.JPG
  • Drive.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Lillebror,

This could possibly be a driver issue;

Your HDD and optical drive are shown to be IDE when they should be ATA, having looked for drivers for your Lenovo IdeaPad U550 two things of note, 1: the Lenovo site only offers driver updates up to model number U530. 2: Lenovo do not provide drivers for OSs that precede Windows 7 for that particular model so likewise there may not be any XP drivers from Lenovo for the U550, you can check here where there is also an auto detect option that will scan the computer for any possible alternative drivers

Lets check what drivers you have installed;

Download DriverView from nirsoft.net

Run DriverView.

Save the results as a Text File.

Copy/paste the info into your next reply for us please.

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

..it's attached.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Not seeing any SATA drivers there, XP does not have them by default and they have to be manually installed, this normally upon first installing and pressing F6 to select the drivers from another source, btw are you still running XP SP2.

Driver Name       : atapi.sys
Address           : 00000000`92868000
End Address       : 00000000`92895000
Size              : 0x0002d000
Load Count        : 1
Index             : 20
File Type         : System Driver
Description       : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver
Version           : 5.2.3790.3959 (srv03_sp2_rtm.070216-1710)
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Modified Date     : 2/17/2007 12:03:34 AM
Created Date      : 12/31/2002 1:00:00 PM
Filename          : C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
File Attributes   : A
Service Name      : atapi
Service Display Name: Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller
Digital Signature : 

Link here for how to find XP SATA drivers.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,977 posts

Hi,

Most likely you have the HDD controler on the BIOS set to IDE mode instead of native Sata, its a simply way to avoid the need of providing the sata controller drivers during install.

Are you sure the Primary IDE is the HDD and not the CD/DVD drive?

One way to reset the PIO/UDMA mode is to uninstall the two Intel ICH9 under the controllers and let Windows detect and reinstall them after a restart.

Note: Accept to restart only after removing both entries.

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hi SleepyDude,

i didn't see your post before. Will check it now. Really thanks!

Lillebror

Edited by Lillebror, 11 November 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Advertisements

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

..many thanks again!

I found & downloaded the newer (2013) version of..

Intel® ICH9M/M-E 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 292D Drivers.

It came with this file: "INF_allOS_9.4.0.1027.exe"; it did install successfully.

Now I am not sure how to proceed. Nothing changed (it seems), and the device manager still has the old configuration.

Do I have to manually update one of the 6 channels in the device manager? Will be the wizard (device manager) helpful?

Lillebror

Edited by Lillebror, 11 November 2017 - 09:30 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Lillebror,

Did you do the check suggested by SleepyDude yet.

Can you Run DriverView again and upload the new log to see if the SATA drivers are present.

You are welcome btw.

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well, well, well!  :spoton:  It's done!

After last 5 days(!) working on it / here and in another malware forum, computer is fine again.

After un- and re-install, that primary IDE channel is back from PIO to Ultra DMA mode.

Reading speed now back at 70 MB/sec, writing @ 60 MB.

..which gives a higher drive mark of 480 than average for my drive (420), using Passmark performance test.

Btw. That info about "PIO emergency mode" is from a computer mag here in Germany, rather reliable.

Thank you very much phillpower (Arni) and SleepyDude!

Best.

Lillebror

:geek:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well with your computer Lillebror and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

Would you be kind enough to upload a new screenshot of Device Manager for us and for your self create a new system restore point with the now stable settings.

You are welcome btw Lillebror  :)

Lillebror

Lillebror

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

..sure.

Attached Files