Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue screen of death

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Pc has blue screen of death. I know for a fact its a registry issue. The last message i got was pc ran into errors in registry -before the bsod event occured. So now iam faced with shipping pc back to the manufacturer so they can reset it. And the sad part is, i cant boot into safe mode, i dont even see the "automatic repair" option when hard power off few times.  And to top it off, i forgot the product key info. I tested out the "boot into disk" and it ran ok...so its a software issue. 

Do you think microsoft can send me free key without paying?? I could explain my dilemma. And the other thing is, if i buy a win 10 install disk can i opt to choose to "repair pc" without input key? Because all i want to do is a clean uninstall and reinstall.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Malcolm777,

Did you create a USB recovery drive for this computer?

Try some of the options described here. Our goal at this point is to try and get to Choose an option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System restore.

Do you have a USB drive just in case we need it? It needs to be at least 8GB to 16GB in size. 16GB+ would be best.

Keep us informed to your progress.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Unfortunately i dont have recovery usb. One more thing, i was trying to find my product key by going to hkey local machine, software, microsoft, windows nt, current version and its not there! The only entries under "p" is perflib, profile notification and profile list. Odd. Btw, iam using cmd through aomei backupper program. The key is the one i need if i want to reinstall using a disk

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Do you have a blank USB drive?

i was trying to find my product key by going to hkey local machine, software, microsoft, windows nt, current version and its not there!

Btw, iam using cmd through aomei backupper program.

I am not familiar with this program. Are you able to access the registry of your computer using this program? I just downloaded it and am trying to access my command prompt (cmd.exe) through the program. How did you access the cmd.exe? Are you able to type in rstrui.exe and restore your system to a previous time?

Do you have a USB drive? We may be able to download Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to the USB drive and navigate through the aomei backupper program UI to the location on your computer to the USB drive and run the keyfinder from there.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
If you have a USB drive and another computer to use then i can direct you to a link to create either a recovery drive or Windows install Disk. Once we get you into the computer, then we can run a program to retrieve all your keys. Let me know if you want to proceed with these options?

Edited by dmccoy, 10 November 2017 - 01:42 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

No, i only have the one pc. And i couldnt find anyone wiling to use another pc. Iam looking towards having pc diagnosed to find root cause of bsod...and if possible, retreive product id key. And about the key, what could have caused it to become missing in the registry? In essense, all i really need is the elusive key, am prepared to buy disk to choose repair or reinstall..but i might try download that key program, anything to avoid "paying" for new key

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay. so you are able to get to a command prompt by using aomei backupper program. If so we may be able to restore to your last restore point or restore your last registry backup. 

Once the command prompt is displayed, type the following command:

• %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
  • If the above command doesnt work then just type rstrui.exe at command prompt
  • This should start the System Restore Utility to restore to an earlier time

Edited by dmccoy, 10 November 2017 - 03:15 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Thx for the hints! Alas i never saved restore points as they took up a lot of space. But ill keep trying any ideas to retreive the product key and do clean reinstall. But its looking hopeless and repair may be last resort. I put blame on a program called rollback rx which takes snapshot of registry in case thier is major bootup issues...the program failed to use snapshot, uninstalled it and the program decided on its own to use last snapshot which corrupted registry. For the record, the blue screen showed stopcode "bad system config error" and looking at past notes, in march i had another stopcode, "APC index mismatch"  

I typed in that entry  in registry... Prompt told me must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart pc, select os then select restore. I need windows for dummies lol

Edited by Malcolm1777, 10 November 2017 - 03:48 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Okay, Clink on the following link and follow instructions for Restore Windows 10 Registry from Command Prompt.

https://theitbros.co...-restore-point/

Also what version of Office are you trying to find or backup keys? Any other programs you need?

Edited by dmccoy, 10 November 2017 - 03:47 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I typed in that entry  in registry... Prompt told me must specify which windows installation to restore. Restart pc, select os then select restore. I need windows for dummies lol

Advertisements

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Please be more specific. You typed rstrui.exe or ? Did it bring up the Restore Utility or? Also if you will provide me with your Office version i may be able to help you backup your key

Edited by dmccoy, 10 November 2017 - 05:31 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Office?? No..no iam talking about key to os itself, the key i activated windows with. I only need the key so i can go ahead and buy a disk to reinstall. The registry doesnt show "productid" for odd reason

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Alas i never saved restore points as they took up a lot of space.

As you have found out, restore points are not a waste of space. ;)

Please answer the questions below in detail...

I typed in that entry in registry... Prompt told me must specify which windows installation to restore.

Which windows installation did you have to choose from?

Is there a sticker on the bottom of the computer anywhere that displays the product ID? If this is an OEM version then the product key in the registry won't be of much help.

Your product key wouldn't happen to be linked to a/your Microsoft Acct, would it?

How are you executing the aomei backupper program?

What were you doing just before this blue screen happened? (software/hardware change)

Can you boot into any of the recovery screens at all? > Choose an option > Troubleshoot > Advanced options

What is the make and model of your computer?

It's a shame no one will let you borrow their computer to transfer files with using a USB. Sure would make this a lot easier.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hope you don`t mind the interjection folks  :)

Malcolm1777

The following from your OP suggests that this could be a relatively new computer, if yes, chances are that it will have UEFI BIOS, if this is the case Microsoft will have the product key stored on their database from when Windows 10 was first installed and registered and you should not be asked for any product key if you need to do a clean install etc;

So now iam faced with shipping pc back to the manufacturer so they can reset it. 

As already asked by Donna above, if your computer is an OEM such as Dell or HP post the brand and model name or number of the computer if a custom build post the brand and model name or number of the MB so that we can check the specs the former to check to see if there could be a Recovery Partition on the HDD and UEFI BIOS and the latter to see if the MB has UEFI BIOS.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Okay, if all you are concerned sbout is the Windows 10 key. Then as the post above mentioned this is now stored on your Pc and will not be neded again to reinstall Windows 10 unless you make significant hardware changes which isnt your case. Now, if you still want to send it in to get fixed you wont have any issues. However, you can still try the steps in the following link and this may get you back up and running and then we can help you reset it so you dont have to send it off if your prefer.

https://theitbros.co...-restore-point/

Edited by dmccoy, 11 November 2017 - 09:12 AM.