Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Approach on a project to automate manual reports on multiple teams

development methodology

• Please log in to reply

chessmonster

chessmonster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I have been given a task to automate the reports that multiple teams in our production generate. Currently, they mostly work on excel operations to generate their reports. Their source of data is an email sent on a daily basis. The bummer here is that each team has their own source report, and their own output report and their own way of generating their reports.

Now my initial approach was to tackle the big elephant piece by piece by handling 1 team at a time. But this approach took so much time, since I had to understand teams reports, how they process it, and how the output looks like. This became unacceptable to my boss.

Now my approach is to standardize the source report of all teams which I think will help on the automation's timeline but I would still use a lot of time in understanding each teams way of creating their reports.

What I am thinking now is to create a system that can provide them tabular data, and then they should do their manual task. But this would not fully automate the system.

I'm not sure if there are other options. But to summarize the question, what approach would you do to automate a very manual system where everyone has their own way of doing their thing

btw, I'm using django and python libraries to create the system

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

An online database where all of the teams input their data daily.

harvey_43

harvey_43

• Pip
  • 5 posts

A platform like JIRA could help you to automate your task to the some extent.