Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound completely gone (Resolved).

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I don't use this laptop often* so I don't know if what has happened was the direct result of something I did or happened some while ago but I didn't notice. (*The computer I use most of the time is a Mac.)

For some weeks when I've used this computer I've been irritated by a message in the bottom RH of the screen saying "Never miss a reminder again" and urging me to do something with Cortana. I was irritated mainly because it obscured what was behind it on the screen and could neither be removed nor deleted.

I tried all sorts of ways to get rid of the message but nothing seemed to work. When I googled the words of the message people seemed to be concerned with privacy issues more than anything else and this was not in my mind at all.

One promising-looking remedy foundered (for me) because it depended on having a Microsoft Account. (Actually I do have a MS a/c in association with my Mac iMac, iPad and iPhone (mainly because I use MS Office software), but I set this laptop up in my husband's name although he has hardly used it.) I jibbed at the idea of going through the process of setting up an account now  partly because I'd have to decide whether to do it in my own name (complication: I already have an account) or in Paul's and partly because I'm afraid I'd be asked set-up info that I've forgotten now - did it nearly 8 months ago when the laptop was new.

Eventually yesterday I found something which looked as if it might help, which was the Notification Center (accessed via an icon in the bottom RH corner). I clicked something there and the wretched notice disappeared and for a little while I was pleased at my success.

A bit later my husband began to use the laptop to look at some "how-to" videos on You Tube, but he discovered there was no sound.

I took the laptop back and spent ages doing everything I could to find out what was wrong with the sound, but to no avail. 

I somehow (not sure how) initiated HP Troubleshooting, which interestingly seemed to detect that the problem was to do with sound without my actually saying it was. That ran and ran and ran and ran but achieved nothing and I gave up.

It occurred to me that what I had done in the Notification Center could have caused the sound problem, but I wasn't sure what I'd done and I also began to wonder if the loss of sound was unconnected with what I'd done - and I didn't want the message about Cortana to come back.

I have put a CD in the E drive and there is no sound from that either.

Weirdly, when I tried to play audio material from various sources on the internet (just now) sometimes I got a tiny burst of sound - a few seconds - before the silence.

I thought of consulting Geeks to Go this morning (having been rescued from a good number of PC and a few Mac problems… [********] over the years by the wonderful GTG experts) and when I arrived at the Windows 10 page my eye was caught by a post about sound loss following an update. That added weight to my guess that the problem could have been there unnoticed for a while.

[I am typing this on my iMac with the laptop beside me for reference. As I typed the last word or do before [********] above I heard a little noise and I glanced at the laptop. The little blob on the progress bar of a short MP3 audio clip ( set to a loop play) had been silently continuing on its way and at [********] the sound came on, as if normally, for long enough for me to start thinking "Where do I go from here? Should I report this to Geeks to Go?". Then, as abruptly as it had come on, it went away again - back to silence. I've just checked again, and clicking the Start triangle for play sometimes produces 3 or 4 seconds of sound, sometimes just 1 second.]

I think I've probably rambled on too much but I hope I've said enough for someone to have some idea of what is wrong and what I can do about it.

Edited by sue.words, 13 November 2017 - 10:07 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello sue.words,

Try a Refresh (not a Reset).

The refresh option does not delete your personal data but may remove certain apps such as Chrome etc, I do however always recommend that folk back up any important data before carrying out a refresh or making any significant changes to the computers software or hardware.

1: Right click on the notifications icon, bottom right on the task bar then click on Open Action Centre.
2: Click on the All settings tab.
3: Click on the Update & Security tab.
4: Click on the Recovery tab to the left.
5: Click on the Get started tab.
6: Click on the Keep my files option.
7: Follow any on screen messages.
8: Post back with an update for us.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Phillpower

Thank you very much for a clear and quick response.

I have begun to follow your instructions but have paused because after I did step 3

3: Click on the Update & Security tab.

on the right it said Reset this PC - nothing about Refresh.

I did steps 4 and 5

4: Click on the Recovery tab to the left.
5: Click on the Get started tab.

but there was still no mention of Refresh.

I then decided to check with you before going any further as you had specifically said Try a Refresh (not a Reset).

I will delay doing anything further till you have been able to advise me again.

Thank you again so much.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not a problem, always best to check when unsure or if something is not clear.

See if my attachment below helps;

You are welcome btw  :)

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Dear Phill

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear! The laptop went through the reset procedure all by itself (I just mean I told it to do what you said and then I left it to it.) It's taken all evening to get to something that looks close to factory condition and I thought it was a bit of a pain that I'd have to set it up as I wanted it with Classic Shell, Chrome, etc, but at least I'd got the sound back. But, when I went to You Tube to test the sound, I discovered I hadn't got the sound. I did get a minute or two, and that made me think all was well, but then the sound went very quiet and then went altogether. (I have tested the sound in other ways - will try playing a CD again, etc.)

I suppose that means that I need to make a warranty claim - either on HP (it's an HP Pavilion) or on PC World online. Do you think I'm right about this? (I know you haven't had actual access to the computer to know, but is there anything else I could reasonably be expected to do to get the sound back?) The computer is less than 8 months old, hasn't been used much and certainly hasn't been subjected to any ill treatment.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello sue.words,

Have you tried plugging in headphones to see if you get any audio through them.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Phill
I am away from home for a few days and did not bring that laptop with me. When I am back home - on Monday or Tuesday - I will see what happens with headphones - that sounds like a good idea. I haven't yet tried playing a CD again (partly because now that the Classic Shell is gone and I'm back with Windows 10, I don't know how to navigate to the CD drive!), but I can see that checking with headphones does a more precise diagnostic test.

Thanks again for sticking with me - I'll keep you posted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No problem and thank you for letting us know that you will be away, whatever you are doing have a safe journey  :thumbsup:

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Dear Phill

Have just got home after six days away and have plugged headphones into the previously silent laptop and hey presto SOUND! Very well diagnosed! I presume that I now need to get PCWorld/HP to deal with the matter?

Thank you SO much for your help.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

PS As a warranty issue, I mean.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Sue,

Weirdly, when I tried to play audio material from various sources on the internet (just now) sometimes I got a tiny burst of sound - a few seconds - before the silence.

when I went to You Tube to test the sound, I discovered I hadn't got the sound. I did get a minute or two, and that made me think all was well, but then the sound went very quiet and then went altogether

have plugged headphones into the previously silent laptop and hey presto SOUND!

Based on the above I would say that you are quite correct and that this is a warranty repair job for PC World.

Would suggest that you check for sound again but without the headphones, if still the same, check with the headphones again, if they are still working ok, make a written note of just the audio tests that you have done and what the results were, take this note along with your headphones to PC World when you go. 

I presume that I now need to get PCWorld/HP to deal with the matter?

Not sure where in the world it is that you are but here in the UK it is the responsibility of the merchant that you purchased the goods from and not the manufacturer to carry out the repair or replace the goods, this because the contract is between the purchaser and the merchant that sold the goods and not the purchaser and in this instance the manufacturer HP.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks for your continuing advice, Phill.

I am in the UK - in Herefordshire.

I bought the laptop from PC World online - "Click and collect" from Hereford PC World store.

My husband said he thought we should take the laptop into the shop and tell them the story - and yes, I'll definitely do what you suggest about double-checking the sound without the headphones and with, making notes and taking the notes and the headphones with me IF I go to the physical shop.

Left to myself, I would probably have looked at the PC World website (https://www.pcworld....tops-703-c.html - I think is the appropriate starting page, but I'd confirm with the receipt I was emailed) and looked there for how I should initiate the claim.

Any thoughts?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

See FAQs here which states that you can take the notebook to your local Currys or PC World store.

You are welcome btw  :)

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thank you, Phill!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are welcome Sue  :)

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.