Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound completely gone (Resolved).

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Oh Phill

Disaster! The wretched laptop has recovered its ability to make sound without headphones.

I took your advice and repeated the tests, and to begin with the results were as before:

sound fine with headphones

sound comes on briefly without headphones, making you think all is well, and peters out and goes altogether.

Then there was a time when the sound (without headphones) carried on and carried on, and now you wouldn't think there had been a problem at all.

I was always going to go to PC World tomorrow, Thursday, when we are going to Hereford anyway, and today I'll repeat the tests again once or twice.

I'm inclined to take the laptop into the store, with the headphones, and with written notes about what has happened, plus my proof of purchase, and see what they say. Can you think of anything else I can say or do to strengthen my case?

I suppose the one good thing is that this miraculous cure happened before I got there - it would have been terribly embarrassing if I'd been taken by surprise when I went to demonstrate the problem!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

Hi Sue,

If the problem is caused by a loose speaker cable inside of the notebook it could be that when opening the lid it could be that on occasion the cable is not making a secure connection, all that you can do is use the audio on the notebook as much as you can to see if it goes off again,if it does, try gently opening and closing the lid to see if the audio comes back, BBC iplayer Radio is ok listening if you want to have something that you can put on and leave.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Hello again Phill

I took the laptop into PC World today and they are sending it off to be looked at as a warranty claim. 

The woman who dealt with us said she thought the problem might be not a faulty hardware issue but something triggered by a Windows update and that if this was the case unfortunately it could occur again. She said that when it was returned there'd be a report saying what they had found and done and when I get it I'll relay it to you.

Thanks again for your generous help. 

Sue

PS I noticed the other day that it was you who helped me when I was considering buying this laptop. I did install Classic Shell on top of Windows 10 (which, without looking it up to check, I vaguely think you suggested). I shall have to do it all over again when I have the laptop back - oh dear! 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

You will hopefully have the notebook back in no time with the audio issue fully resolved, best not to comment on what you have been advised by PC World tbh.

We will be here should you need to return and don`t worry about Classic Shell, still as good as ever, free to install and only takes seconds to download.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Thanks as always, Phill

Best wishes

Sue

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

You are welcome Sue  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

Any news on your computer yet Sue.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

I have the laptop back from PC World now and would have quoted their report here but was unsure about doing so because of this:

"best not to comment on what you have been advised by PC World tbh"

which you said a few posts back, and I didn't want to go against your advice. Very happy to pass on what they said if I misunderstood you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

Hi Sue,

Was just wondering if you had the notebook back yet and in full working order.

"best not to comment on what you have been advised by PC World tbh"

which you said a few posts back, and I didn't want to go against your advice. Very happy to pass on what they said if I misunderstood you.

Would be interested to hear what the solution was Sue, as I mentioned previously the audio working through headphones suggested a speaker/connection problem, not something that can be caused or fixed by a Windows update.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

This is what they said, Phill:

What we've found: the issue you reported was caused by an outdated BIOS and an outdated device driver.

What we've done: We have updated your BIOS and updated some device drivers. We then ran system checks to ensure your issue has been fully resolved.

Here's what we've replaced: No parts were required.

Quality checks: Full System Diagnostic Test

Visual Check

Quality Assurance Check

Is this the sort of report you'd expect? 

The sound works ok now, incidentally - which is what the problem was all about. I presume everything else is ok but I haven't had time to check. I also haven't had time to install Classic Shell on again. That will have to wait till after Christmas now.

Thanks for your continuing interest. (My own computer is an iMac, by the way. Do you personally - ie, not Geeks to Go in general - give advice on Macs as well as PCs? Not that I have a burning problem at the moment, but it would be nice to know when I have more time.)

Happy Christmas!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,774 posts

Hi Sue,

Wasn`t sure what to expect from PCWorld tbh but never heard of a BIOS or driver update fixing speaker issues  :headscratch: as long as it is fixed and gives you no more trouble is all that matters.

Never had much to do with Macs but hardware wise there is not much difference, there is a GTG Apple OSX forum here in case not already aware.

Have yourself a great Xmas and New Year & Classic Shell quite right can wait  :)