Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to find a good computer repair shop?

Hardware issue

• Please log in to reply

trudy.s

trudy.s

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello,

my Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 has a hardware issue.

How would I find a good computer repair shop?

I live in FL33436

many thanks, Trudy

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
Many folks find that a personal recommendation from friends, family, work colleagues, church or local community groups can be very valuable.
Regards
paws

trudy.s

trudy.s

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hello,

just came back from a repair shop. The person said that the 'Blue Screen of Death' means basically always that the hard drive is defect and needs to be replaced.

Is that true?

Thanks, Trudy

P.S. Thanks to you too, paws

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

The person said that the 'Blue Screen of Death' means basically ALWAYS that the hard drive is defect and needs to be replaced.

Is that true?

No it does not always mean the hard drive is defective, there are many codes shown on the various "Blue Screens of death" and some may relate to ( for example) drivers.

However its perfectly possible that the hard drive has become defective..... there are various utilities that you can run to establish an idea of the health or otherwise of your hard drive, and these can be downloaded free of charge.

It might be wise to ask the repair shop what utility they used to test the hard drive...

Regards

paws