Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HTTPS Problems -- revert to factory fresh?

• Please log in to reply

DMCShep

DMCShep

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

I am constantly getting issues like the following in Chrome:

HTTPS Error.png

Given Chrome is my main browser, this makes everything clunky, and many sites broken for obscure reasons because Chrome falsely detects a domain as having an invalid certificate and thus it won't load critical javascript or CSS files.

I strongly suspect this comes from a time when part of my web development job required installing HTTPS certificates manually and overriding some that were installed. That said, we never kept track of which ones or why, and by now every computer I own is having the same issue for the same reason. Really just want to wipe out what's there and start fresh if there's a way to do that.

Firefox works fine on the sites where Chrome throws a fit I should note. Anyone have an easy way to remove the HTTPS certs I've messed with? Chrome and Firefox are both fully up-to-date.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

What Windows version are you using?

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Windows 10 Home x64, updates are current.

(email subscription didn't stick, apologies for delay!)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Try to follow this guide http://woshub.com/up...-in-windows-10/

it shows how to download a list of root certificates from Windows Update and install them.

DMCShep

DMCShep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I think that's exactly what I'm after! But, I'm held up by this part:

• Download rootsupd.exe

There's no link to this file anywhere in the article I can find, and I'm sure I don't have to explain why I won't go looking around for it on Google with the malware experience you have  ;) Not to mention it says it was made for XP, which is well past end-of-life (that part confuses me as they even mention it in the article).

I tried skipping ahead given the XP emphasis and just running the commands:

certutil.exe -generateSSTFromWU roots.sst
updroots.exe roots.sst

The first runs fine, and roots.sst is now a file, but the second fails. updroots.exe does not exist anywhere on my system it seems, and is downloaded from the XP section.

Should I try further and go with the last section? What's the next step?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Download http://ctldl.windows...authrootstl.cab

extract the cab file to get authroot.stl right click this file and select the option Install CTL