Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS 420 will not boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

ERROR IN THE PREVIOUS POSTPhill sorry about this The Hard drives are not as described above they are in fact.Drive 1: a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200rpmDrive 2: a Western Digital Caviar SE 16... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jb852

Jb852

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I have the above system, and until a power cut yesterday it was working well,
Since the powercut it will not boot, I get a notification: RAiD0 (Stripe), strip 128kb,Size 596.2 GB, status Failed,bootable No.
Anyone any ideas what this means. The Os is windows10 and clean installed after a replacement PSU was fitted.
As a by the by I have run all of the internal system tests and all seems Ok, unless of course I missed something.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello jb852,

Since the powercut it will not boot, I get a notification: RAiD0 (Stripe), strip 128kb,Size 596.2 GB, status Failed,bootable No.

The Dell XPS 420 shipped with Vista and not Windows 10 which means a clean install must have been done, if you did not set up a RAID array on installing Windows 10 you should not get such a message, did you set up RAID when installing Windows 10.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay in getting back to you,
No is the easy answer, I'm a nontechnical, the most iv ever done is replace the PSU, when I say a clean install what I actually mean is that the HD on the system is only used for software all info is kept on a number of external drives or my NAS.
So since purchase the OS has gradually been upgraded form vista, through Xp, to w7, W8, and recently to W10.
At the same time as replacing the PSU I checked for a bios update and reflashed to A07, and then an install of office2016.
Since then all has been great, the system is used mainly for report writing and photographs.
I had wondered if the HDs, had gone down but don't know how to check, or if it's worth trying th dell boot disk, as the system does not seem able to find any drives to boot from, but when I run the diagnostic everything is coming back as passed.
Best regards
Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello jb852,

when I say a clean install what I actually mean is that the HD on the system is only used for software all info is kept on a number of external drives or my NAS.

So since purchase the OS has gradually been upgraded form vista, through Xp, to w7, W8, and recently to W10.

Crossed wires as a clean install implies that certain software has been uninstalled and reinstalled afresh, in this instance it appeared that you had done a clean install of Windows 10 and that was why I asked about the RAID drivers, by the by now you have explained.

Very surprised that the computer worked with Windows 10 at all tbh being that there are no Windows 7 drivers let alone drivers for Windows 10.

At the same time as replacing the PSU I checked for a bios update and reflashed to A07, and then an install of office2016.

Since then all has been great, 

How long was the computer running fine for and did the computer shut down and reboot without issue on more than one occasion after flashing the BIOS.

Is the HDD detected in the BIOS, a Seagate HDD will begin with the letters ST and a Western Digital HDD will begin with WD, other brands vary and please note that any mention of a HDD in the Boot sequence that is not labelled with such letters is only the boot order and not the BIOS detecting the presence of a working HDD. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you jb852, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi ,
Again sorry for not getting back to you sooner, my illness caught up with me again,
As far as the run time since installation about a month, and rebooted every time I used the item, as I shutdown the system when finished with it, so at least every other day, sometimes twice a day.
Haven't been able to check the HD info yet as still a little under the weather, and not willing to risk messing something up.
Promise I will get back to you until we get a resolution, it just may not be very rapidly at the moment.
Many thanks, it is appreciated
Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries Jim, your health must come first, we wish you a full and speedy recovery  :thumbsup:

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you, unexpected holiday with the medics,
Are you still up for trying to sort out this dam PC.? I'd hit it with a lump hammer if I did not need it so badly,
Very best regards
Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Aye no problem Jim, as said your health comes first and this can be put on hold for as long as you need  :thumbsup:

If you wish to continue now, please advise the state of play with the computer now and anything that you may have tried along the way.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Ok, and many thanks,
State of play is
The screen I have up shows the following regarding the drives,
Port 1 drive: WDC, Model:WD 3200AAKS-7, Serial: WD-WCARW3445580, Size298.1GB, Type/Status (Vol ID) Member Disk (0)
May be obvious to you, this PC has two 500GB drives, and both are origional,
As far as trying anything, only reboots, I have considered unplugging everything and then repluging followed by a further reboot.
Rgards
Jim

Advertisements

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi,
Iv attempted to attach a photo of the screen I'm on but not shure if it worked so will try againimage.jpeg

Edited by Jb852, 11 December 2017 - 04:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Jim,

May be obvious to you, this PC has two 500GB drives, and both are origional,

Is it possible that you have two HDDs, one a 1TB partitioned into two and the second a WD drive detailed below.

Your screen shot shows that what appears to be your C: drive (Drive 0) has been changed to RAID somehow and the HDD connected to SATA port 1 is a 320GB Western Digital Caviar Blue drive, you can confirm the latter here Dell p/n: KX795

This unfortunately may mean that you will have to reinstall Windows  :(

Is there any data on the boot drive that you would like to try and secure.

In case you are not aware, the HDD passed the diagnostics test because it was tested for functionality and not that the OS was bootable.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi,
So what do we do now?
Can the raid be changed back? If it can be put back will it cure the problem?
I will check the drives it's easy enough to look at them with the cover off. If one of them is a 1TB why add another which is 320GB?
Regards
Jim

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi again sorry I didn't answer your question properly.
The hard drives only have software on them, no information at all. I have a NAS and a number of external drives I keep all of my documents on. When I am able to work I work from home and I can't afford to have anything on the PC that isn't secured. So it's the OS currently W10, Office 2016, and photographic software, so nothing really to loose.
Regards
Jim

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Jim,

So what do we do now?

Reinstall Windows 10 I`m afraid, on brand name computers that have been upgraded from one or more OSs this does tend to be inevitable at some point with OEMs such as Dell and HP etc.

Two things that I suggest you do regarding the clean install;

Download and save to a USB thumb drive the latest version of drivers from here

When you install Windows, install it to its own partition, make the partition at least 256GB, this will allow for the present OS and the many future updates.

After the clean install, see how the computer behaves, you may not need to install any drivers from the USB device if the generic Windows drivers work ok, any problems though and you need to install the Dell drivers you need to do them in a set order else you will get issues, see info here