Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell XPS 420 will not boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 11 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

Hi Jim, May be obvious to you, this PC has two 500GB drives, and both are origional,  Is it possible that you have two HDDs, one a 1TB partitioned into two and the second a WD drive... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
Ok I need to get some things clearish in my head.
Does this mean that all data has been lost on the hard drives?
You say that the system is trying to boot from the smaller drive, is it possible to tell it to look for the larger drive?
I don't mind reinstalling the OS, but I'm not shure how to do it, my upgrade was a download from the Microsoft website so I guess that the activation code I have will still work, but how do I get the OS onto a system which will not get past the screen you have seen, how do I tell it where to look for the OS.
Also I have no idea how to set up the partition you mention.
Best regards
Jim

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,508 posts

Hello Jim,

Yes.

No, the reason why the larger drive will not boot is because there is no RAID software on the drive so Windows cannot read the drive, the drive is unbootable atm.

You can download a free Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft here once you have the ISO you should try the Repair Upgrade option first, see info here 

If the Repair Upgrade option does not work out we will come back to the clean install, activation code and partitioning.

NB: On older computers such as the Dell XPS 420 you are best to burn your ISO to a DVD and change the boot sequence to DVD drive first and the destination HDD second, this because many older computers cannot boot from a USB device.