Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell XPS 420 will not boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 15 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

ERROR IN THE PREVIOUS POSTPhill sorry about this The Hard drives are not as described above they are in fact.Drive 1: a Seagate Barracuda 320 GB 7200rpmDrive 2: a Western Digital Caviar SE 16... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi,
No the Seagate has been disconnected, any idea what the error code means?
I will go through the process again tomorrow if that's ok?
Best regards
Jim

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Its self explanatory really, your installation was corrupted so you will indeed need to start from scratch, checking the boot sequence etc.

Not sure why it says that the PC needs to be repaired as you never actually installed Windows 10 to the WD HDD, that`s why I checked with you that the Seagate had not been reconnected.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

I think the issue may be related the hard drive previously being formatted for Raid. To fix try the following steps.

1. Boot with the Windows 10 USB

2. During the install select the Repair option to bring up the command prompt console

3. In the command prompt type each of the following commands followed by pressing enter key

diskpart

list disk 0 (verify it is the correct disk #)

clean

convert gpt

create partition primary

format quick fs=ntfs

assign

exit 

4. This should allow you to then select the unallocated partition to install Windows onto

Edited by dmccoy, 20 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

morning phil, 

Ok, so iv been back a step, removed and replaced the CMOS battery reset the date/time and rebooted, all OK to the usual point, when it went to the blue recovery screen.

All power off, began moving the  SATA connections around the MB, all came up with drive 1 not detected, repeated the process with the seagate drive, same result, returned the drive connections to their original positions on the MB then disconnected the seagate, rebooted, back to the blue recovery screen, cant seem to get past that now.

any further thoughts?

Have you any thoughts on Mr Mccoys comments#48?

The kit, physically seems ok but I cant confirm this, Iv also taken a look at that error code, seems it can be caused by a power failure, so Im beginning to consider its not something Iv done inadvertently. 

Please forgive me for going over this but it helps me to see it written, part of my condition, please feel free to correct me, as this is a huge learning process for me.

There can only be three causes of fault on these things:

Electrical - to the best of our ability with what we have, all electrical connections and therefore systems are working as we can see them operating.

Mechanical -  As above 

Software - ?

again I beg your indulgence, as when it comes to micro electronics I an nowhere as confident with systems as I once was, and you may have to reiterate points more than once before they register with me or I can grasp a concept.

best regards

Jim 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Jim,

Can I ask what happens if you try swapping things around and powering up without the USB thumb drive inserted, we need to consider the possibility that it is the media on the thumb drive that is at fault, the USB method goes so much smoother on newer and non OEM brand computers like Dell.

Do no harm to do what Darrin suggested in his reply #48 but if my memory serves me right it was the Seagate HDD that flagged up being RAID enabled whereas it is the WD Caviar that you have been trying to install Windows 10 to from your USB thumb drive.

Is burning a Windows 10 ISO to a DVD still an option for you.

Btw, no worries with this, take as long as you need and ask as many questions as you need to, one of us will be around to answer. 

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Good afternoon phill,
Ok, so Iv been back a step, removed the CMOS battery, reset the date/time and rebooted, all Ok to the usual point, when the blue recovery screen came up.
So all power of , began removing the SATA connections and moving them around the MB, all came up as drive 1 not detected, repeated the process with the Seagate drive, same result, returned the drives to their original positions on the MB and disconnected the Seagate, back to the blue recovery screen and could not seem to get past it.
As a by the by I looked up that error code and it seems that this problem can be caused by a power failure, sorry if I'm "teaching grandfather " but this is all a new process for me.
Have you any thoughts on MR MCcoys comments#48?
Again, I beg your indulgence, as when it comes to micro electronics I am nowhere near as confident with systems as I one was and you may have to reiterate points before they register with me or I grasp a concept.

As a follow on from the above , I ran out of ideas, so in a fit of frustration (a common side effect of the illness) I went back to the boot order and moved the CD ROM to the top, then rebooted the system, just as the DOS screen came up I put in my W7 DIsc and lo and behold the screen you can see now. I am tempted to go to the repair your computer element but I would rather consult first.
Bets regard
jim

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jb852, 21 January 2018 - 07:45 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You cant repair anything Windows 10 related using a Windows 7 disk.

If you have the product key for it and it is not already in use you could try installing Windows 7 but as I asked is burning a Windows 10 ISO to a DVD still an option for you.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Hi, gentlemen, 
current state of play;

PC: Power off

Seagate and WD drives reconnected to psu and MB in original sockets.

I have just finished creating a w10 iso disk
And as a by the by I have made a new USB W10 drive too, using a new drive.

just tell me what you want me to do with it,  :D

best regards
Jim

Edited by Jb852, 21 January 2018 - 10:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Power up the computer, place the Windows 10 disk in the drive tray, see what happens from there, you may need to restart the computer after you have placed the Windows 10 DVD in the drive.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Will do

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:thumbsup:

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Done, DOS screen
No boot device available

1 does GTG have any for of live chat?

2 I propose to disconnect the seagate as we seem`d to make more progress when it was disconnected 

UPDATE:

Disk did not seem to be having any effect, so after a number of reboots i decided to chance the new USB drive, again after a number of reboots  and unexpectedly its at the w10 setup screen, do we want to proceed? 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by Jb852, 21 January 2018 - 10:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Would put the Seagate to one side for now and connect only the WD.

I don`t do live chat here and anything related to this thread must stay on the open forum, no tech or oher assistance allowed any other way, this for the security of both members and staff.

Jb852

Jb852

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

phill 

please see #57

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Nothing to lose by trying the USB again but something seems rather temperamental here.