Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 defrag (first time using it)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Question, is there a way to get windows defrag to do a boot up defrag?

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi KiwiProbie,

Back in the days of XP (and prior) defragmenting a hard disk was something you had to do regularly to keep it running at peak performance. Nowadays, Windows is more robust and defragging is not necessary as often as it once was.

If I remember correctly, starting in Windows Vista, Disk Defragmenter included an option to automatically run at scheduled times using Task Scheduler. Windows 7, by default, sets up a schedule to defrag the hard drive which you (the user) can modify the schedule by opening Disk Deframenter (just type defrag in the search box in the start menu). Same for Windows 8/10.

Be aware though that the newer Windows 10 PC's are much more likely to include a solid-state drive (SSD) as its main storage at time of purchase. SSDs don't need defragmenting the same way that older hard disks do.

Following is a really good article in regards to defragging Windows 10:

How and When to Defragment Your Hard Drive in Windows 10

Hope that helps... :)

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

No it didnt need help and didnt answer my question.  I said its my first time cause I normally use oo defrag.

Please answer my question :-).

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Awesome thank you heaps Freebooter.  I'll try it now.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I got this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.64]
© 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Defrag c:  /b
Microsoft Drive Optimizer
Copyright © Microsoft Corp.

Invoking boot optimization on Acer (C:)...

Analysis:  100% complete.

Boot optimisation has been disabled in the registry. (0x89000018)

So I went through to the reg key for this and reinabled it, then after that I got this:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>Defrag c:  /b
Microsoft Drive Optimizer
Copyright © Microsoft Corp.

Invoking boot optimization on Acer (C:)...

Pre-Optimization Report:

Volume Information:
                Volume size                 = 464.64 GB
                Free space                  = 407.73 GB
                Total fragmented space      = 2%
                Largest free space size     = 209.39 GB

Note: File fragments larger than 64MB are not included in the fragmentation statistics.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Too much importance is often put on defragging a HDD and if a HDD was able to be defrag on boot** two things would happen, data on the drive would actually become fragmented and the drive would come to an end of life much sooner than any warranty it may have.

** This would also prevent you from having an SSD as a boot drive as they should never be defragged.

How often a HDD should be defragged depends on the amount of use, the average user once a month and possibly up to six weeks and power user as often as once a week.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Yeah I do use my laptop a lot, games, net, etc.  But I only defrag once a month if that.

I am not sure why you guys keep bringing up about SSD's, do you guys not read my signature and see that I have a HDD?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I am not sure why you guys keep bringing up about SSD's, do you guys not read my signature and see that I have a HDD?

My apologies KiwiProbie, I can`t seem to find anywhere in the GTG Terms of Use that we are not allowed to post information for the benefit of others apart from your good self  :P

Levity apart, you asked;

And as part of my reply I included the following;

** This would also prevent you from having an SSD as a boot drive as they should never be defragged.

The reason why I emphasised the above separately was to highlight another good reason why being able to run a defrag on boot would not be a good idea, no one knows everything and someone with less knowledge than others may have come across your thread and had it not been mentioned gone off and started defragging their SSD thinking that it was ok to do so  :(

I take it  that you decided against the SSD upgrade in your SSD Drives for Acer Laptop thread.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I see good point, I do know that you should never use defrag on an SSD, but to use the trimming feature.

I have gone back to o&o defrag as well.  I find that does the defrag a lot better :-).