Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wi-Fi Connection dropping which leads to me needing to reboot windows

W-Fi connection drop disconnect reboot re-boot startup required win10 10

• Please log in to reply

mitchcraft1980

mitchcraft1980

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

ASUS X553S Laptop

Win 10

8GB RAM

INTEL 3700 2.4GHz

ISP BT INFINITY (It says INFINITY1 but we sometimes get INFINITY 2 speeds so??? No complaints lol)

Hi there, i have had this problem for as far back as i can remember. I think it actually used to happen a lot with our previous ISP also. Basically this can happen more than once in a week then the next time it can be a matter of weeks/months before it happens again.

What happens is it will suddenly appear as NO INTERNET ​in the system tray with the little yellow triangle icon and troubleshooting does nothing, it resets the network adapter and does its thing but in the end I am always having to reset the laptop and it reconnects no problem afterwards. I am sure I tried giving it an IP address once but it wouldn't connect (I am not 100% on this, I could be mistaking this with doing that to my XBOX or PS4 which never has this problem) I only have 1 Wi-Fi network adaptor on this laptop unlike my previous one which had 2 then the LAN connection. My drivers are all up to date as far as I can tell.

It just bothers me because it brings me back to the time of Tiscali etc. where every [bleep] hour you had to reconnect which absolutely sucked because at the time half a meg ADSL was a new thing and I got it so I could game faster with no lag (Less lag I should say ha ha), playing Starcraft to be precise and anyone who has played StarCraft knows that unless you get a zerg rush, matches could last hours which I could never get the joy of experiencing with that [bleep] 1hour reconnect lol (For non StarCraft players a match online could last a matter of minutes or hours and if it was hours I never got the chance because of my ISP hourly requirement of a disconnect then reconnect, yeah it sucked)

So yes in this year 2017 where we are long past the days of half a meg download and now hitting between 50Mb/s - 70Mb/s download and 15-28Mb/s upload (with the ISP package we have in our house)  if I wanted to stream a game I am playing on to YouTube for others to watch, take part in a game of StarCraft multiplayer for example or simply want to watch a movie I would think I shouldn't have to keep doing this.

Like I say though this can happen more than once a week, then the next time it could be a month but knowing my luck if I was to stick on StarCraft you just know it would happen at that 1hour mark to be a sod lol

I know there was a way to fix this back in windows XP days no problem but it's been years since I was that clued up on things due to my job requiring it.

So is there something I can do on Windows 10 to prevent this other than using a power socket adaptor to connect it to the LAN as that is not a good option due to the way my sockets are wired in my room causing a severe drop in speeds rather than the more logical thought that it should bump speeds up.

Thanks.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

A Wi-Fi connection is nowhere near as reliable as wired.

Wikipedia: WiFi > Interference

Interference

Wi-Fi connections can be disrupted or the internet speed lowered by having other devices in the same area. Many 2.4 GHz 802.11b and 802.11g access-points default to the same channel on initial startup, contributing to congestion on certain channels. Wi-Fi pollution, or an excessive number of access points in the area, especially on the neighboring channel, can prevent access and interfere with other devices' use of other access points, caused by overlapping channels in the 802.11g/b spectrum, as well as with decreased signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) between access points. This can become a problem in high-density areas, such as large apartment complexes or office buildings with many Wi-Fi access points.

Additionally, other devices use the 2.4 GHz band: microwave ovens, ISM band devices, security cameras, ZigBee devices, Bluetooth devices, video senders, cordless phones, baby monitors, and (in some countries) Amateur radio all of which can cause significant additional interference. It is also an issue when municipalities or other large entities (such as universities) seek to provide large area coverage.

For more details on this topic, see Electromagnetic interference at 2.4 GHz.

Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

mitchcraft1980

mitchcraft1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

I could understand it being that if it also happened to my XBOX, PS4, PS3, XBOX 360, IPHONE ETC.....

But nope it only ever happens to laptops lol