Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows (old) folder inquiry

- - - - -

Best Answer garioch7 , 21 November 2017 - 07:57 AM

Malcolm1777: Just to add to what KiwiProbie has stated, launch the Windows File Explorer (Windows Key + E), then select your Drive C:. Right click "Properties" , and then select "Disk Cleanup"... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Ive decided, i want to delete the old folder, seeing i already created recovery backup. I need to gain extra space on the hdd. The folder has a sizable chunk of used space i could use.   What do you think?

hey, whats going on with support lately? i posted a comment on some folk's profile without any acknowledgement. there seems to be a level of subdued effort from staff part on the main site.. before, when i had that issue, it was a buzz of activity. this is why i post same kind of issue on other tech forums to see if ill get some kind of response.

Edited by Malcolm1777, 20 November 2017 - 08:48 PM.

Advertisements

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I have noticed that too, and even some of the people here go off the subject and not answering my question, instead giving me information that I don't need nor asked for.  I ask specific things and they tell me things that I already know.  It's like just answer my question please instead of going off topic.

But to your question, I do delete the windows.old folder after 10 days of an upgrade and yes it does help with space, but I have also noticed that it can sometimes speed up windows too.  I think its a great idea to delete it.  I use the disk cleanup that is default to windows.

garioch7

garioch7

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 62 posts
✓  Best Answer

Malcolm1777:

Just to add to what KiwiProbie has stated, launch the Windows File Explorer (Windows Key + E), then select your Drive C:. Right click "Properties" , and then select "Disk Cleanup".  A new screen will open. Select "Clean up system files".  It will take some time for the computer to analyze what can be safely removed.  When that scan completes, make sure that you select "Old Versions of Windows", OK the warning, check that all of the items that you want to delete are "checked", and launch the clean up.  It will take some time to run.

On my laptop, which upgraded to Build 1709, that cleanup freed up some 20 GB of space!  It is safest, and recommended, to use the Windows 10 Cleanup utility.  Some people have run into problems just deleting the Windows.old folder.

I hope that this helps. Let us know how you make out. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

<script> </script>

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

hey, whats going on with support lately? i posted a comment on some folk's profile without any acknowledgement. there seems to be a level of subdued effort from staff part on the main site.. before, when i had that issue, it was a buzz of activity. this is why i post same kind of issue on other tech forums to see if ill get some kind of response.

Hi Malcolm,

Because you mentioned that you had commented on some folk's profile, I thought to check mine and see that my profile was one that you commented on. My apologies for not acknowledging. I had no idea that you had commented since I do not get notifications that a comment has been posted. Your comment was not ignored intentionally.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I am not here to socialize, but to help others and educate.

This applies to you as well KiwiProbie. I did answer your question. As I pointed out, Windows Disk Defragmenter is designed by default with the ability to schedule disk defrag as a task and you can configure that schedule to meet your needs. I just didn't come right out and say, "No, you can not schedule Disk Defrag to run at boot time." I could tell that your computer skills are well developed so thought you could figure that out for yourself. The link I provided was to support my answer, which it did. And to educate you further on defragging an SSD, just in case yours is SSD, I pointed out that Disk Defrag does not need to be scheduled to run every time when the computer boots. Doing so would stress the drive and end it's life sooner than if you allowed Windows do its thing.

The folder C:\Windows.old is inactive. The folder can be deleted without harm.

Have a nice day gentlemen! :)

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

woops , my bad. iam so used to interacting with other members, no worries. iam deleting the old folder as i type. the tables were to be turned if i didnt make a recovery file, then i would of left alone the old folder. cheers guys

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
DonnaB yes I did see your reply, I'm one of those people that need more of a direct answer not a history lesson.  I don't mean that in an nasty way.  Its just how I am, a simple yes with how to do it was the more appropriate answer to my question :-).  Just like how another member told me how to do it :-).

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Well, I do apologize KiwiProbie. Once a teacher, always a teacher. :rolleyes:

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

All goods, and awesome stuff, keep up the good work though :-).