Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC / Desktop - Advice from a Gaming (Strategy Games) perspective

Best Answer phillpower2 , 22 November 2017 - 03:55 PM

Praetorian27,   Parts list for you here not sure in which country you are but you should be able to get the same parts for around  €1150 + you can save a... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Praetorian27

Praetorian27

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Guys & Geeks To Go :)

I have literally just signed up to this website and come to you today in search of wisdom. As Black Friday is approaching (the hype has even reached Europe these days) I'm on the market for a new desktop / PC / AllInOne whichever you want to refer to it as.

Now just a little bit about myself, I'm based in software and familiar with Laptops (Lenovo) and personally own an Xbox One but have little or no clue when it comes to PC Gaming.

I intend on buying a PC (desktop), I essentially want a big monitor and nice clean desktop setup at home to play old skool strategy games which I loved back in the day:

• Empire Earth, Age of Empires, Star Wars Battlegrounds, Shogun, even some Broken Sword :)

Now at face value, these are old games, I've asked Colleagues which PC should I buy and I've been hit with CPU info, Graphics cards debates etc etc etc. Roughly 10 years back I had one of the original Dell XPS setups which was sublime, done the job perfectly, this eventually died and I've been laptopping ever since.

So I went online this week and scanned the shops, had my eye on some Dells XPS (latest version), Dell Inspiron, and the Dell All In Ones. I've also seen some HP,s, and ASUS (Asus G20BM-BUNDLE) which look kind of neat but I have no idea what to buy.

I will NOT be playing GTA, the Witcher etc on a PC as I have the XBOX for that, really all I want is the older games and I just want someone to point me in the right direction for this purchase as it would be greatly appreciated.

Should I be looking so cautiously at Graphics Cards for Age of Empires and Football Manager?  Has anyone found themselves in a similar predicament to this back in the day before you became Geeks :) ?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. In terms of budget I am not limited myself but I dont believe I need/require a high powered gaming PC for €2000. I would of thought I could pick something up (suitable) for 1000?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
✓  Best Answer

:welcome:   Praetorian27,

Parts list for you here not sure in which country you are but you should be able to get the same parts for around  €1150 + you can save a bit of cash by downgrading to 8GB of RAM (2 Xs 4GB sicks).

Not included, an OS so if needed the cost will need to be factored in.

Some older games may need to be played in compatibility mode and real old games may not play at all on today`s faster hardware.

NB: Just so that you are aware, your thread was moved here as it is is the appropriate forum for system building.