Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Resolution Issues & System Restore Doesn't Work (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer Leesie , 27 November 2017 - 03:40 PM

Thanks Phil! Ended up having to undo the whole windows upgrade it did unexpectedly Saturday. Just went in, rolled that driver back and disallowed it from updating the drivers. Seems back to normal... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Hi,

I just saw someone post something similar so starting to think it's got something to do with a windows update? Anyways, Wednesday night all of a sudden my screen resolution changed all on its own, went from the 1900 x something to what it usually looks like in safe mode. I started kaspersky full disk scan and it came back fine. I then tried system restore, couldn't get into safe mode and at that point realized my 'sleep' option is missing in my power options, I'm down to shut down and restart. Found out I can use shift and restart, so I did.

Ran first attempt at system restore, trying to restore back to the earliest restore point available on Nov. 2nd.

Get this error:

System restore failed to extract the file:

C:\windods\syswow64\activationmanager.dll from the restore point.

Let it boot, try again. Same thing. For all three restore points.

When I right click display on my desktop it doesn't show anything about catalyst center which I know was there awhile ago. My monitor is an HP 2709M. If I go through the options through the monitor it gives me the 1900 one which is what I usually have it set it. I picked that one from there and it has no effect on the resolution at all.

When I looked at the monitor settings in device manager there's 2 events:

Device DISPLAY\HWP283E\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was started.

Driver Name: oem51.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Service: monitor
Lower Filters: 
Upper Filters: 

Device DISPLAY\HWP283E\1&8713bca&0&UID0 was configured.

Driver Name: oem51.inf
Class Guid: {4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Driver Date: 06/16/2009
Driver Version: 2.0.0.0
Driver Provider: HP
Driver Section: 2709_D.Install
Driver Rank: 0xFF0000
Matching Device Id: MONITOR\HWP283E
Outranked Drivers: monitor.inf:*PNP09FF:00FF2000
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: ROOT\BasicDisplay\0000

Thanks,
Lisa

Advertisements

stefm

stefm

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Hi

I have the same problem. looking at your post if there is any fix for that

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Leesie,

Check for any updates that were installed just previous to this happening, does there happen to be any AMD drivers that have been installed by Windows when it updated.

stefm,

If your computer has an AMD graphics solution you should do the same, if you do not have an AMD graphics device, please start your own thread and in your OP include your computer specs and what if anything you have already tried yourself.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Thank you Phil, I got it rolled back and it's back to normal (and my sleep option is back as well). How do I block or keep that update from installing again? Do I need to do anything to fix that restore issue or do you think that was due to that driver as well?

Thanks so much!

Hello Leesie,

Check for any updates that were installed just previous to this happening, does there happen to be any AMD drivers that have been installed by Windows when it updated.

stefm,

If your computer has an AMD graphics solution you should do the same, if you do not have an AMD graphics device, please start your own thread and in your OP include your computer specs and what if anything you have already tried yourself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome Lisa  :)

To stop Windows automatically updating hardware drivers follow the steps here 

Do I need to do anything to fix that restore issue or do you think that was due to that driver as well?

Not certain tbh but it does seem to be a coincidence, btw, if not done already create a new restore point for the present stable settings.

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

You are welcome Lisa  :)

To stop Windows automatically updating hardware drivers follow the steps here 

Do I need to do anything to fix that restore issue or do you think that was due to that driver as well?

Not certain tbh but it does seem to be a coincidence, btw, if not done already create a new restore point for the present stable settings.

Problem just got worse. Windows updated to a new update of windows 10 itself. Gone are my restore points and the ability to roll back the driver. (It's greyed out.) 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

See if you are able to uninstall the Windows 10 update that is causing you the problem, tutorial courtesy of Brink here

Leesie

Leesie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks Phil! Ended up having to undo the whole windows upgrade it did unexpectedly Saturday. Just went in, rolled that driver back and disallowed it from updating the drivers. Seems back to normal :) Thank you so much for your help!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You are welcome Lisa and thank you for letting us know that all is now well with your computer  :thumbsup: