Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple issues, can't figure out root cause

• Please log in to reply

Aishenne

Aishenne

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

UPDATE: sfc.exe seems to have fixed some of the issues, still checking now..

Hi,

I'm observing several symptoms recently when using my laptop, but I'm not quite sure if the issue is because of corrupted Windows or something else.

Would appreciate a little bit of help.

Observations:

- Chrome does not launch even after fresh reinstall. I can see multiple Chrome processes in Task Manager though. It launched like once or twice after a very long time.

- Similar thing happens with other applications like my NVIDIA application. It launched after a very long time, and after I managed to download the driver update, the installation won't work.
- Right click hangs (e.g. Go inside a folder and right-click on blank area to try to bring up options like Create New Folder does not work. Right-click on Desktop does not work. )
- Auto-updates for Windows have stopped. If I try to run Windows Update manually, it hangs. If I try to use the troubleshooter, it just gets stuck at "Detecting problems". I left this overnight just to be sure, still stuck.
- Tried other troubleshooters too like Network troubleshooter and it gets stuck in the same manner.
- Tried to open System Restore and it took way too long to launch. Haven't tried to restore yet though.
- Tried to open Windows Firewall and it took way too long to launch.
- All automatic updates seem to have stopped working. If I open task scheduler, there is an error
"Task OfficeTelemetryAgentLogOn: The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range"
- Sometimes seeing 100% Disk in task manager even when I don't seem to be running too many things.

Tried these things:

Ran Malwarebytes and it did not detect any threat
Ran the windows security scan and it did not detect any threat

Tried the DSIM.exe check but it failed to download source something. I tried the workaround in this page (http://www.thewindow...rror-0x800f0906), but mine does not end up being successful. I see messages like 'The service is starting or stopping" "The service is not responding"

Running sfc scan

Thank you in advance! It's a bit hard to try to find a solution without knowing what is actually wrong.

Other things work fine on the laptop though (e.g. other programs have no issue running, response time is still same)

Edited by Aishenne, 25 November 2017 - 10:20 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Aishenne,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi phill, thank you for taking the time to check :) .

The sfc fixed a lot of the issues, but I would like to double-check that no other things are wrong.

Here is the speccy link:

http://speccy.pirifo...xMtJlqZihVDtZ5b

(On an unrelated note, would you be able to kindly point me to a link for recommendations on what to do for a new laptop, e.g. set up recovery, partitions, etc? I searched online but a lot of the articles recommend to install this and that program.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Nothing untoward showing in Speccy, everything looks good in fact, can I ask what problems you are still having.

Driver Booster 

Would get rid of the above, see my canned info below as to why please **.

Will be happy to help you with partitions once done here  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)

** Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and again may not resolve the issue.

When possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

See info courtesy of lifehacker here

Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that companies such as Iobit offer and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

Aishenne

Aishenne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Hi phill,

I cleaned up a lot of programs and was able to run Windows update, glad to hear that things look good now. I can't find any 'Driver Booster' application under Uninstall programs menu though.

Still having an issue where my external WD hard drive is not showing up anywhere. I'm currently browsing through the internet for possible fixes, as it might not be related to windows 8.1 issue any longer. I don't think it is broken or my port is broken, as I have just used it fairly recently (1-2weeks ago).

My fingerprint scanner (HP Simplepass) also stopped recognizing fingerprints, but it's probably an application issue. Tried to re-download it and re-register fingerprint but no go. Anyway, I can live without it I guess. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hi Aishenne,

I can't find any 'Driver Booster' application under Uninstall programs menu though.

Lets try another way and while we are at it check to see if there is anything else starting on boot that you do not need to;

Can you post an Autoruns log for us, download from here  

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.

2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".

3: Click on the Options tab and then put a tick against the top three options.

4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.

5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop > when you click on File > Save you will then get the option to Save as type, click the drop down tab, change it to Text and then click the Save button.

6: Attach to your next reply.

Tutorial here

Have you tried connecting the WD external drive to another computer to see if it is detected.

The fingerprint scanner we can look at later if you wish.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts

Have you tried connecting your WD drive to 'another computer to see if it works?