Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer freezing after a few minutes (Resolved).

Best Answer computerwiz12890 , 03 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

Hello again phillpower2! Considering my PC worked in safe mode, I had an idea.  I used "msconfig" to turn everything off, and then slowly turned things back on.  I did not disco... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,805 posts

Howdy all!

Wow it's been forever since I've been here.  Being a software developer these days has gotten me rusty with fixing computers.  So here's my problem....

My downstairs entertainment computer freezes up after about 5 minutes of being on.  This happens regardless whether I'm doing anything or not.  I can just turn it on, leave it sitting with nothing going on, and when I check up on it about 5 minutes later, it's frozen.

Here's the facts:

• Haven't had a windows update in a year or two.  I have them set to manual.
  • I've run an old version of Hiren's Boot CD and did RAM tests and Hard drive tests.  All came back successful.
  • No freezing while running Hiren's Boot CD.  Makes me wonder if it might be an Operating System issue...
  • I have not run a video card test.  Not sure what's a good free one out there...
  • I'm pretty sure it's not an infection.  I'm a good boy....  :-P  But I can run stuff as needed.
  • The only recent thing I've changed with my PC that I can think of is removing the Storj software (for sharing my harddrive space).

Please help an ole buddy out!

Thanks a bunch!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,492 posts

Hello computerwiz12890,

We could do with some hardware and software information to begin with.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

One thing that Speccy cannot tell us is the PSU brand and model name or number, can you post them for us if you will.

If you want to put the video card through its paces you can use Valley benchmark (free) which you can download from here

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,805 posts

Hi phillpower2!

Thanks for your response.  I'm really starting to think it is software, not hardware as I originally thought.  It freezes almost immediately upon booting to Windows.  However, here I am in Safe Mode and it is working just fine.  So here's what Speccy recorded:

http://speccy.pirifo...SuP5NqVGO3ilPiG

Also, for the PSU, the brand is Bestec and model is ATX-300-12Z.

This computer is about 8 years old, BTW.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,492 posts

Hello computerwiz12890,

I'm really starting to think it is software, not hardware as I originally thought.

The following from your OP suggests otherwise;

My downstairs entertainment computer freezes up after about 5 minutes of being on. 

The above suggests hardware or overheating, keep in mind that the computer is not under any load when in Safe Mode, if Windows or another program was crashing you would get a BSOD/Stop code.

the PSU, the brand is Bestec and model is ATX-300-12Z.

Bestec are so bad that even when new they cannot be trusted and anyone that knows hardware would tell you to steer well clear of them, see review here

Before doing anything else I would strongly suggest that you get Windows fully updated and ensure that crash dmps are enabled on your computer.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,805 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello again phillpower2!

Considering my PC worked in safe mode, I had an idea.  I used "msconfig" to turn everything off, and then slowly turned things back on.  I did not discover anything that was directly the cause of the issue, because now it is working just fine even though I have everything turned back on.  How weird!  Perhaps some kind of service/start up program was stepping on another one, and doing what I did allowed it to get unstuck...  In any case, I seem to be groovy now.  Will try to watch a movie on it later to see for sure.  But my PC ran all night long without freezing, and Resilio Sync was hard at work catching up all the changes with my upstairs computer.

PS - Yes I agree on the Bestec PSU.  I had one "explode" on me before.  Well, more like surged and fried my motherboard.  But I like to tell the story differently.  Anyways, I was surprised to see that brand in my downstairs PC.  I bought that one pre-built, and it's lasted 8 years without exploding.  So, the force was strong with this one.

Thanks for your help!  In any case, Speccy was a cool tool to learn about and add to my own personal toolbelt.  :-)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,492 posts

Hello computerwiz12890,

Perhaps a service to needed to be re started in Task Manager, who knows and I`m sure that you don`t mind seeing that the comp is working ok, can I suggest that while things are running stable that you make sure that you have a new system restore point for the now stable settings.

Anyhows, glad you got it sorted and thanks for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw and pleased to hear that you found Speccy helpful  :)