Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts off at seemingly random, Unsure on what could be causin

random shut down Shuts down for no reason

• Please log in to reply

Toastertoast02

Toastertoast02

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Setup:
CPU: AMD A12 9800 running at stranded with Noctua U12S + AM4 Mounting Kit 
Ram: 2x 8Gb DDR4 (HP Branded)
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 1050Ti OC
Mobo: Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3
PSU: EVGA 600B
Case: CoolerMaster 431 Elite Plus with 3x 120mm CoolerMaster Sickle Flow fans

I have recently run into problems with my PC. I boot it up in to windows and after some time passes it simply turns off. It isn't windows shutting down but rather as if you unplugged it from the wall. It is always at different times too and under different circumstances. Sometimes I'll boot up the computer sit idle on windows and after a few minutes it turns off, while other times when I leave it idle it has taken an hour to turn off. It sometimes immediately turns off when I start a game, or runs the game fine but when I close the game to watch YouTube it turns off. I can't find a visible pattern. However, The PC has never lasted longer than 2 sessions properly before randomly shutting off in the next.

I have looked into some causes of this even some from this very forum, but I haven't found a cause that to me seems to fit this case well. The first one I looked at was over heating, but even under load my CPU is at 60 degrees max. Aida 64 never gave me temps for anything else that could be over heating, like my GPU, but in the bios at idle the GPU hovers around 30, as well as my chipset, things like VRM on the board read to be at 60 on idle but I looked into it and found other people with this board also experiencing high temps on the VRM, even higher then mine, but I never found anyone that had their PC turn off because of it.

For those reasons I don't believe it is overheating, but a reason I think may be the problem is windows itself. I read that maybe I have a corrupt version of windows that causes my PC to randomly shut off. To test this I simply have to see if it randomly shuts off in the Bios. I'm actually testing that as I write this. I'm kind of sceptical of this reason though because I've been having odd issues turning the PC back on after it randomly shuts off too. (Update:The PC turned itself off after just over an hour of being idle in the BIOS) 

Once the PC randomly shuts off and I try to turn it back on I've seen it do a number of things. The first thing being nothing at all, after I click the power button the PC does nothing, or It may turn on for a second after hitting power button but then turn back off immediately after. The second thing I've seen it do is turn on but not post, the fans run at what seems full speed and it simply stays that way. Sometimes when running full speed the fans die down to what I have them set as and the PC boots, but other times the PC just turns off again after awhile of running the fans full speed. The third thing I've seen is very similar to the second one, however once the fans die down, the PC turns off for a split second, runs the fan full speed again, only too immediately die down once more, and then turn off for a split second. It just stays in this loop until I turn it off. Finally the fourth thing I've seen is the PC simply run the fans at full speed for about 3 seconds then die the fans down to where I have them set and boot. The fourth one is what happens on a normal start up of the system for me. 

After these things happen to the PC after turning it on for the second time, if it does the first thing where it doesn't turn on or it turns on for a second then turns off, I simply unplug and plug the power supply back in as well fiddle with the power switch on the power supply until it ended up acting like situation number 2, 3, or 4. Once the PC did the the second or third thing where it would just run the fans full speed I would wait and if it didn't post, have that weird loop of turning the fans on and off, or if it turned itself off. Then for some reason opening the PC up and doing things like resetting the Ram sometimes worked This may be a sort of placebo effect though, maybe opening it up and resetting the ram was simply equivalent to turning the PC on and then off again and being more patient for it to eventually die down the fans and post. I've never run into a point where I couldn't boot the PC back up again somehow, but once I manage to turn the PC back on after it just shut itself off, it has never lasted long before turning back off again. 

Since the PC has a hard time turning back on after being randomly shut off, I don't believe the problem is from windows or any other type of software, but I honestly don't know that's why I'm here. One thing I have been a little less sceptical about is this issue being power related. It seems pretty plausible to me anyways, from what I've read on the most similar to problems to mine, there always seems to be the suspicion of a bad power supply or bad power input being the problem. The only reason I don't believe this is my problem more is that my PSU is brand new, and I have the same issue while plugged into my surge protector as I do while directly into the wall socket. I also think this isn't the problem because I had the PSU installed before installing the Gigabyte motherboard and CPU cooler and the PSU offered no problems with the old motherboard. Maybe it still could be the PSU though, perhaps it was able to be stable while powering the old motherboard but not the new one. I kind of doubt that though because, I used one of those only power consumption calculators for my hardware and my PC should draw only 450W , so my 600W PSU should be having no problems.

One thing that seems likely as the cause for this problem are one or both of the 2 new components I installed. My PC was stable before the new motherboard and cooler so they must be causing the problem, well maybe they are. The cooler seems easy to blame since if it is faulty or not installed properly it can lead to the PC over heating and shutting off at what could seem like random moments. I really don't believe this though because the CPU temps are well below even 60 degrees most of the time. This leaves me with suspecting my motherboard as the problem. I've never heard of or read about anyone's PC turning off randomly because of their motherboard but I can't rule it out as not being possible. The first thing I thought it could be is that maybe I didn't connect all of the cables properly, but after an inspection of the hardware that was quickly ruled out. Another more likely cause to me could be maybe the chipset or other parts on the motherboard were overheating. The VRM MOS and VSOC MOS get pretty hot on idle, but a quick search about if it's too hot led me to believe my motherboard probably isn't overheating. One last thing it might possibly be to me, this is just a theory, but possibly my new motherboard is having some sort of compatibility issue with something, causing my PSU to fail-safe and shut everything down 

In conclusion, sorry this was such a long rant, but this has been very stressful for me and I just needed to pour all of my thoughts and theories on what this might be somewhere. If you bothered to read this far and have any idea on what might be causing my issue, I would greatly appreciate you share it with me. I've never been this stuck with figuring out what is wrong with my PC and I honestly don't know where else to turn at this point. I thank you for any answers in advance.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

First thing I'd try is to temporarily run the computer off of a different operating system (such as some flavor of Linux) on a CD or USB key. If it still shuts down without warning, you'll then know it's not Windows causing the problem.

If it's not Windows, remove everything from the case, set up the bare-bones minimum on cardboard (or other non-conducting surface), and then try running it that way for a while. If it runs fine now, more than likely the problem was an occasional short between the motherboard and case.

Toastertoast02

Toastertoast02

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

First thing I'd try is to temporarily run the computer off of a different operating system (such as some flavor of Linux) on a CD or USB key. If it still shuts down without warning, you'll then know it's not Windows causing the problem.

If it's not Windows, remove everything from the case, set up the bare-bones minimum on cardboard (or other non-conducting surface), and then try running it that way for a while. If it runs fine now, more than likely the problem was an occasional short between the motherboard and case.

Thank you very much, that's a very good suggestion I'll defiantly try that, I think I have some Ubuntu install disc around somewhere. I have one question though, would my PC shutting off like that in the BIOS be sufficient evidence to say it's a hardware problem, or can my BIOS be impacted by Windows in someway making it unclear still if it's my OS or not casing this problem?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You're welcome. If the computer shuts off while simply sitting in a BIOS screen, you're right, it is not a Windows problem. It's a hardware problem somewhere. Windows doesn't even begin to load until the BIOS turns over control to it.