Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing Up Network drive advice

• Please log in to reply

randor73

randor73

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello all,

So, we have a small network, we are running Windows 2008R2 and have approx 10 work stations connected. We were using an online cloud storage site to backup but they are apparently changing their plans and so I would like to look at possibly turning this to an internal process. So I would like some advice as to how to best do this without blowing up my already tight budget.

We have 2 databases, one is approx. 800Gb and the other is 400GB (this is 10 years of data) so i would expect I would want at least a 2-3TB to allow room for growth. does that sound like enough?

I looked at a program called Acronis to manage the backup, anyone have any experience with that? or advise on what software you recommend? I would like the software to schedule regular backups as well as a continual update.

I was looking at external hard drives as the storage option, most that I have found have USB 3 adapters. I am a bit skeptical as to if that would be a fast enough data transfer for a continual update backup? It also crossed my mind to consider maybe just purchasing a SADA drive and dropping it into a spare work station, then using the network as the medium to transfer the data. Any advice?

Thank you all for reading and sharing your thoughts.

Bob

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Hi,

What type of databases you have SQL Server, Oracle, MySql???

This is important specially if the application(s) that uses the database are always running its possible that special procedures for the DB backup are needed.

For Backup I would consider a NAS box with minimum 3 HDD's in RAID 5 or RAID SHR (Synology specific) for example https://www.synology...ducts/DS416slim

you can start with 3x2TB HDD's  and add one more or replace with bigger drives in the future.