Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 is Down

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 18 December 2017 - 11:00 AM

You are welcome Athena28   Good info from Brian as well btw, thanks  Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Athena28

Athena28

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hi. I'm helping my neighbor with her desktop. Her brand new Windows 10 operating system worked for a while and then when we installed updates it stopped. Error messages came up and the OS seems to be gone. I have a sneaking suspicion that the gentleman who installed the system did so with a bootleg copy and the updates somehow realized that. I'm thinking I need to buy an authorized copy of Windows 10 and install it. Does this sound like it might work? And if so where do I buy Windows 10? I think it doesn't come as disks (like Windows 7 did) but a thumb drive. Can I purchase a thumb drive from say Amazon and install it that way? I'd. like to do something where I'd own it so if this ever happens again I'd have it. Sort of like recovery disks but on a thumb drive. Am I on the right track?

Thank you.

Edited by Athena28, 02 December 2017 - 01:18 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello Athena28,

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the computer so that we can do some research and then get back to you.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I sure will. I just texted her and as soon as I get that info I'll post it. Thanks.

Edited by Athena28, 02 December 2017 - 01:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:thumbsup:

Would be best that you have the computer in front of you when we are ready to start making suggestions for you to try.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
BTW, here are the 2 error screens. I forgot I'd taken pics of them. The black screen just keeps repeating the same message no matter what Key you hit.

Attached Thumbnails

• 29C13EAF-4D6D-415D-946A-B2906F86E4F4.jpeg
  • 90BA1C3F-9710-4F4E-9918-4DEF2BE19327.jpeg

Edited by Athena28, 02 December 2017 - 01:51 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

You may need Windows 10 media to repair this but can I ask if pressing F8 when at the blue screen has been tried.

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
I know I tried F12 and F10 and there was no option for HDD or CD/DVD. I wish I could recall if I tried F8. I'll have to wait till I get to that computer again.

Well here's the computer specs just texted to me:

Acer Aspire tc Intel Core 15-6400 8G DDR4 2TB HDD Windows 10 Home ATC-780 Am Z15

Edited by Athena28, 02 December 2017 - 05:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
 I have a sneaking suspicion that the gentleman who installed the system did so with a bootleg copy and the updates somehow realized that. 

Acer Aspire tc Intel Core 15-6400 8G DDR4 2TB HDD Windows 10 Home ATC-780 Am Z15 

That Acer range of computer shipped with Windows 10 Home as standard so not sure why anyone would need to install it on the computer again, any idea!

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Guess I'll try the F8 when I get to the computer.

I wonder why he never gave me any recovery thumb drive? I have a feeling he just d/l it. This is why I always like to own a hard copy. :oops:

Edited by Athena28, 03 December 2017 - 03:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

As said above, not sure why Windows 10 was installed on a computer that shipped with it pre installed, HDD replacement or a serious problem with Windows etc I could understand but there has been no mention of either.

Advertisements

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

I appreciate your trying to help.

Edited by Athena28, 05 December 2017 - 04:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Have you made any progress with this Athena28?

You are welcome btw  :)

Athena28

Athena28

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

You're so sweet to ask.

I haven't been to her house yet to try F8. If somehow it doesn't work I have to decide whether to take it in for repair (and ensure I get a recover flash drive or disks) or buy a thumb drive of Win 10 and try to reinstall it myself.

Edited by Athena28, 05 December 2017 - 04:23 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

No problem  :)

If no joy with F8, you can download for free a Windows 10 ISO direct from Microsoft, please see info here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you Athena28, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.