Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Alienware R3 laptop "No bootable devices" error

• Please log in to reply

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hi G2G,

Looking for help with my laptop. It's about two years old, not sure what is wrong with it. The error didn't happen until I had not booted it up and used it for over a month. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it doesn't, but after a while it always ends up giving me that "No bootable devices --" error after 0-15 minutes. If booted up, sometimes it comes up with a generic blue screen "your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" once in a while if it boots up, with stop code "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED." The onboard diagnostic has not come up with anything. I've seen a variety of solutions on what to do, from other threads but nothing conclusive. Want to avoid Dell support if possible. 

Thanks in advance. 

Below are system specs.

Alienware AW17R3-4175SLV Gaming Laptop 6th Generation Intel Core i7 6700HQ (2.60 GHz) 16 GB Memory 1 TB HDD 256 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M 3 GB GDDR5 17.3" 1920 x 1080 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Edited by Oniketsoku, 04 December 2017 - 12:54 AM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Unfortunately, it sounds like the hard drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

I see. I had a hunch that this was the case, but I wasn't entirely sure and do not know how to confirm it. 
Is there a series of steps and/or processes to do that?
Also, I would assume that this is the SSD failing that the OS is installed on, failing - (hypothetically, ofc) correct?

Edited by Oniketsoku, 04 December 2017 - 01:19 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Yes. The computer is useless unless it can boot up an Operating System (such as Windows, Linux, etc.) that is installed on an attached bootable device (such as HD, SSD, etc). Without a bootable OS available, the computer has no choice but to pop up an error such as "No bootable devices".

Oniketsoku

Oniketsoku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Okay, then I'm stuck getting a new SSD replacement.

According to Speccy, what I'm using is listed as: 

238GB NVMe PM951 NVMe SAMSU (Unknown)

What would be a good replacement for it? Also, one of my friends told me that disk cloning is not recommended. Do you have any input on this?

I also don't really know how to get my files or at least the OS on to a new drive.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Since your Samsung 250GB Evo 960 MVMe has a 3-year limited warranty, you may want to contact Samsung Customer Service before doing anything else that might void the warranty.

If you want to tackle it yourself ...

Samsung 960 EVO NVMe (3 year warranty)

Samsung Pro NVMe (5 year warranty)

For instructions on how to transfer from old NVMe to new NVMe, see "cac2244's Feb 16, 2017, 3:31 PM" post on Tom's Hardware.