Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

keyboard and mouse not working on bios and windows

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hello, i am currently running a win 10 home edition on my Zed Air Pro S laptop with a 32 bit OS. i was hoping to upgrade it to a 64 bit system but after entering Bios and changing a few settings, so as to boot from my usb. Somehow its not possible on these model. So the windows doesnt recognize the mouse or the keyboard. The computer boots up to the log on screen but i cant log in nor can i use the mouse pad or the external mouse. I tried finding yhe CMOS battery from the inside of the machine but couldnt locate any to try resseting the bios. Please anyone with some info on how i can get through this wiukd really appreciate. Thanks in advance

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   kevinxe11,

Not familiar with your type of computer but with UEFI BIOS you may need to disable secure boot to be able to boot from a USB device, below is an example "how to"

To switch UEFI native mode to legacy BIOS mode (and disable secure boot):

Restart the computer. In Windows 8/8.1/10 from the Start or Desktop screen move your pointer over the upper or lower right corner of the screen.
When the Windows Charms appear, click the Settings ( ) charm, click Power, and then the Restart option.
Press and hold the F2 key when the screen goes black, and wait for the BIOS setup utility to launch.

If your system cannot boot into Windows , shut down the computer completely, then press F2 while powering back on.
Select Security -> Secure Boot, and then Disabled.
Select Advanced -> System Configuration, and then Boot Mode.
Change UEFI Boot to CSM Boot.
To save the change and exit the BIOS setup, press F10. 

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

This is the situation, After changing a few settings including disabling secure boot, i saved changes and exit bios, the laptop restarted..It boots up okay as it should but when it reaches the login screen. i cant even type my password since the keyboard doesnt work, i cant even use the mouse pad or any external mouse. the only button that works on the keyboard is the power button. i need a way to reset my BIOS setting to default as i think it should solve the problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not finding anything at all regarding restoring the factory defaults or any CMOS battery, it is as if the makers intend the device to be disposable as in when the internal battery dies you throw the whole thing in the trash, their customer support while we are at it is garbage  :ranting:

From threads that I have read online I suspect that even if you are able to install 64-bit Windows 10 the mouse pad and the external mouse will still not work, the internet is full of users with the same problem but no one has come up with a solution to the problem as of yet.

One quick check that you could do is to hard shutdown Windows a few times at the password screen to see if it gets you into the Windows (RE) Recovery Environment, let us know if it does.

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for the reply... well ivtried hard ressetting it and it brings nebto the recovery window..but still cant get to choose the option of startup repair since i cant even see the mouse pointer and the keybad doesnt work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Were the track pad and keyboard working before you tried installing 64-bit Windows.

From where did you download the 64-bit Windows.

What program did you use to make the OS on the USB device that you have be bootable.

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Yes, the keyboard and mouse pad were working way before i tried installing windows, though it was only a trial since it dint install. I changed a few BIOS settings after I followed the windows 10 reset procedure. Ever since after the reset, the mousepad and keyboard stopped working.

I used windows creation media tool from one of my old PC which works fine btw, and downloaded the 64bit OS from Getintopc.com

Thanks for the reply...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Forgive me but I am somewhat confused  :headscratch:

Yes, the keyboard and mouse pad were working way before i tried installing windows, though it was only a trial since it dint install.

Let me know if I have this right;

The track pad and external mouse originally worked fine with 32-bit Windows 10.

You tried installing 64-bit Windows 10 but it failed to install.

The track pad and external mouse still worked fine with 32-bit Windows 10.

You made changes in the BIOS.

The computer will still boot to the 32-bit Windows log in screen (but with no working mouse or track pad meaning that you cannot log into Windows)

I used windows creation media tool from one of my old PC which works fine btw, and downloaded the 64bit OS from Getintopc.com

Can I ask why you downloaded from Getintopc.com when you could have downloaded the ISO for free and 100% clean, Getintopc.com has a bit of a chequered past according some over at Malwarebytes.

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
exactly u got it right..now thats the problem in hand. so i bought a p/s2 to usb adapter and tried using it with a connected p/s2 mouse and keyboard but they dont seem to work. the usb ports work okay since i charge my phone via usb.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Is legacy boot enabled in the BIOS.

Is Fast Boot (if accessable) disabled in the BIOS.

What options are available in the Windows Recovery Environment.

Have you tried your USB thumb drive in another computer to see if the thumb drive and the media on the thumb drive are bootable.

the usb ports work okay since i charge my phone via usb

That only means that the port is getting power and not that it is capable of reading data from which can be caused by a motherboards chipset drivers being missing.

Can I ask why you downloaded from Getintopc.com when you could have downloaded the ISO for free and 100% clean, Getintopc.com has a bit of a chequered past according some over at Malwarebytes.

Can you also answer the above for us.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Phil, this is the same problem you had here: http://www.geekstogo...nor-in-windows/ and there is no fix other than what you suggested.

Unplug the Laptop from external power, run it until it powers off then power it on and repeat until power is totally exhausted. See if that scrambles the CMOS so you get the Press F1 to continue, F2 for Setup message at boot.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks Rich  :thumbsup:

With not getting any feedback on the final outcome in that thread I wasn't aware  :rolleyes:  

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

hey guys, thanks for the replies. Lemme try the battery draining process that ztruker suggests. will get back to you with the result.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

hey guys, thanks for the replies. Lemme try the battery draining process that ztruker suggests. will get back to you with the result.

That was phils suggestion in the previous thread I linked. Hope it works though.

kevinxe11

kevinxe11

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

so apparently it doesnt seem to work for me. i drained the battery and it still doesnt go past the lock screen. Any more ideas on how i can get past that lockscreen?