Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CDROM drives not recognized

• Please log in to reply

yishayk

yishayk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,
I have this weird situation.
My 2 CDROM drives stopped functioning and instead I see in the device manager screen a gibberish name of some non-functional device (see file attached)

Has anybody gone through such a situation?

Thanks
Yishai

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
haven't seen one quite like this.

what happens if you delete the 'device'? is new hardware found after rebooting?

what does device manager look like after rebooting?

yishayk

yishayk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It recognizes a new CDROM - same as the one just deleted.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
to be clear -
1. there are 2 CDROM drives
2. when the device is deleted and the system rebooted, only 1 CDROM is found?
3. both devices worked before
4. any new hardware added to the system?

yishayk

yishayk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
1. there are internal 2 cdrom drives in the computer
2. only one of them is recognized in the device manager but instead of "LG CDROM" or so I get a gibberish CDROM name (see attachment)
3. Though a CDROM was apparantely recognized, no CD drive is shown in "My Computer"
4. both devices worked a few months ago
5. When the computer is started with another operation system (Win 98) from a different HD - both CDs are recognized.

Hope that'll do

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

dralab

dralab

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, I had a similiar situation on a computer the other day. The computer was infected with a virus... I think the trojan.download virus. Anyway, I installed new cd-roms and the problem still occured. I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled the os and everything is fine now. Of course you would need to back up the data and make sure it is virus free before reinstalling the data files. But this fixed the problem with the cd-roms.

When I clicked on the properties of the cd drives while in system under control panel, it stated that their was a problem with the registry files or the something was corrupted. Since I could use the cd drives to install a program to fix the issue, I was forced to reformat and reinstall.

Hope this helps!!!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
yishayk,

good info in your post. the hardware has been eliminated - works with win98.

I see 2 options:

1. look for upper and lower filters in the registry for the cdroms. if you are not familiar with editing the registry, I would recommend checking with your computer savvy friends and ask one to look at your registry.

2. submit a HJT log. since the drivers continue to reinstall incorrectly, there may be a malware issue here. start here

bdlt