Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office issue

excel

• Please log in to reply

robertJe

robertJe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Whenever I have Microsoft Excel open to read xlsx documents, it brings the whole system operation to a crawl. Forget about using a browser whenever that program is open; it slows everything down. 
Can anyone explain whats happening and provide a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

I haven't much idea about the solution to your problem. Just some suggestions.

Make sure you close your documents when done. Use the auto-save, too. Mostly to keep data worked on from being lost should computer shutdown or an update causes an unexpected restart.

Is Excel the only M$ Office program that causes the problem of sluggishness? Opening Excel right away after a reboot yields the same problem immediately? Did this problem occur after any updates installed? Number of files open at any one time? Just some things I would check out and change to see if slowness problem is solved.

Many things can cause computer to be sluggish. Try using Task Manager or Resource Monitor to check whether excel.exe or even word.exe display excessive high RAM or CPU usage/disk access. The problem could be caused somewhere else when you open Excel. I doubt if it could be the old "memory leak" problem as that occurred years ago on older computers.

I'm sure others who know/use Excel will provide better help, but you might give more details: version of Excel being used, your computer's specs, any anti-malware programs running in the background, etc..

Might help:

Five Excel Nightmares (and How to Fix Them)

Edited by AstraNut, 05 December 2017 - 11:10 PM.