Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Freezing / Lock-Up (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer kelltech , 31 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

My apologies, I intended to reply yesterday but have been pushing to get my last 2 academic papers complete by today! I haven't had any issues since last post, I believe this has been solved. I tha... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Hello,

I have a new laptop and I'm having an issue with it randomly freezing. It's happening after I've been away from it for a while. When I return, it's not in sleep, but the mouse and keyboard will not generate any response. Not a mouse button, windows key, ctrl-alt-delete, nothing. I force a power off and turn it back on to get it responsive again. I don't see any errors, but of course I don't expect to after a reboot.

It actually just now froze on me a moment ago while I was closing a notification from Polaris Office, but this freezing problem has been happening since long before I even installed that program, so I don't think that's it.

I also don't know where or how to begin looking to figure out what's causing it. I looked at the event viewer and was overwhelmed and lost! I sure would greatly appreciate any help.

I have a Sager laptop with an i7, 8gb of RAM, running Windows 10.

I went ahead and ran Speccy in case someone asks for it, that is here: http://speccy.pirifo...xrqfOzC2nezhpJz

Noticed under Antivirus it's not showing Malwarebytes, but I do have the full version installed and running as well.

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello kelltech,

Had a quick look at your Speccy report and would suggest two things from the off;

Active power scheme: High performance Change this to Balanced in the Windows Power Plan settings, High Performance is a form of overclocking that causes instability.

Hibernation: Enabled: Hibernation imo is a useless feature and it is known to cause issues in Window 10, suggest that you disable it, "how to" below;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

While troubleshooting change all of the following to Never;

Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 10 min
Turn Off Monitor after: (On Battery Power): 10 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): 1 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On Battery Power): 20 min
Suspend after: (On AC Power): 180 min
Suspend after: (On Battery Power): 30 min

Regarding Malwarebytes, we can see it in Speccy so it is there, is it saved on the WD boot drive or the data only Seagate drive. 

I have a Sager laptop with an i7, 8gb of RAM, running Windows 10.

From Speccy;

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1196MHz (17-17-17-39)

This a rant on my behalf really, you have paid a lot of money for this computer so you would have thought that they would have used 2 xs 4GB sticks of RAM so that you would get the benefit of it running in dual channel at 2400MHz as opposed to single channel 1196MHz, btw, most system builders do this when only providing 4 or 8GB in their systems  :ranting:

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Hi phillpower2 and thank you for your reply.

I followed the steps you provided and changed my power scheme. I always thought anything other than "performance" meant I wasn't using my hardware to it's potential, I didn't recognize that it's a form of overclocking. I set that to balanced.

Also followed the steps for shutting down hibernation, which I though I did right after I installed the OS. Hopefully it sticks this time  :D

Totally agree with the RAM rant! I kept thinking the RAM is the problem, and am considering installing another identical 8GB. Can't have an empty RAM slot.

Here's another Speccy after I did these things: http://speccy.pirifo...CPGcZaoOovk7wiq

Should I leave all of these settings set to never?

Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 10 min
Turn Off Monitor after: (On Battery Power): 10 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): 1 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On Battery Power): 20 min
Suspend after: (On AC Power): 180 min
Suspend after: (On Battery Power): 30 min

Edited by kelltech, 07 December 2017 - 12:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello kelltech,

High Performance is not as bad on higher end computers as they have the specs to cope with the extra load, lower specs comps though with say 2GB of RAM, a dual core CPU, basic GPU and a poor quality PSU will most often either fail to boot, become unstable and/or overheat, with notebooks it causes a particular problem with overheating and especially with the battery.

Hibernation info acknowledged and pleased to see the setting has remained disabled for you this time.

Running: IObit Uninstaller Service

Would get rid of this, nothing good ever comes of anything from IObit type software, tech forums are littered with problems caused by such companies and their so called system optimiser tools  :(

Aye, as said above, please leave the other settings to Never while you are troubleshooting.

Regarding Malwarebytes, we can see it in Speccy so it is there, is it saved on the WD boot drive or the data only Seagate drive. 

Can you check this out and let us know, not sure if you had MBAM Premium installed when this first started but the fact that you have it installed but Defender is shown to be your AV the two programs could be conflicting and therefore the cause of your present problems.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Ouch, didn't know that about IObit. I primarily used it to get rid of the trash left behind by uninstalled programs. Perhaps CCleaner is a better solution?

MBAM Premium has been installed since I first installed the OS in September. Though I didn't think I installed that to my storage/secondary drive, I thought it was on my C drive, which is my SSD. Anyway, with Malwarebytes Premium, I'll shut Defender down and see how that helps.

EDIT: Ugg. Correction: it doesn't look like I can shut Defender off. I did find an option for editing the registry to do so, is it wise to go that route?

Edited by kelltech, 07 December 2017 - 01:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hold off on CCleaner for now.

Though I didn't think I installed that to my storage/secondary drive, I thought it was on my C drive, which is my SSD.

Re MBAM, crossed wires perhaps, never said that it was installed to your storage drive only asked you to check to see if it was, this because you mentioned in your OP that you had the full version (Premium) installed.

Is or was the version of MBAM that you installed the trial version that runs for 14 days for free and then requires payment to continue running as the Premium version or alternatively reverts to the more basic on demand scanner should you not upgrade.

Please do not be tempted to make any changes in the registry.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I do believe it was the trial version and then I entered my upgrade key.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

K, what I suggest;

1: If you do not already have it kept somewhere secure use the Find my Premium license key tool to secure your licence key, once you have this written down etc see below;

2: Use the MBAM Clean Removal tool to completely uninstall MBAM.

3: Check to see if Defender is running, fully update it and have it do a full scan of your computer.

4: Once step 3 has been done, use your computer as you normally would and see how it behaves.

5: If steps 1 to 4 all go ok, post back with an update for us or alternatively any snags get back to us first if you will.

Hopefully once the above has been done you will be able to download a fresh MBAM Premium and be able to use the added benefits of the protection that you have previously paid for.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

K, what I suggest;

1: If you do not already have it kept somewhere secure use the Find my Premium license key tool to secure your licence key, once you have this written down etc see below;

2: Use the MBAM Clean Removal tool to completely uninstall MBAM.

3: Check to see if Defender is running, fully update it and have it do a full scan of your computer.

4: Once step 3 has been done, use your computer as you normally would and see how it behaves.

5: If steps 1 to 4 all go ok, post back with an update for us or alternatively any snags get back to us first if you will.

Hopefully once the above has been done you will be able to download a fresh MBAM Premium and be able to use the added benefits of the protection that you have previously paid for.

Got it, thank you. I completed each step and am now going to proceed to use it normally. After a few days I'll report if I get any more freeze/crashes or if I get none.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Unfortunately it just happened again. Had a total freeze/lock up and had to force power off.

I was working in Polaris Office, Firefox, and Chrome and had a Google Music app playing at the time, plus the normal stuff running in the system tray. :(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

Flush DNS

Reset FF proxy Settings

Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Attach the results to your next reply for us please.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Hi again phillpower2,

I attached the log as a text file. You'll know a heck of a lot more than I on what to look for, but I did notice this. Seems like a lot of memory in use:

========================= Memory info: ===================================

Percentage of memory in use: 77%
Total physical RAM: 8080.51 MB
Available physical RAM: 1803.97 MB
Total Virtual: 11633.81 MB
Available Virtual: 2309.68 MB

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   32.59KB   1780 downloads

Edited by kelltech, 11 December 2017 - 05:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi kelltech,

Chrome, Windows itself and MIcrosoft Edge flagging up errors.

Yes that is high memory usage, type Task Manager in the search field on the task bar, click on the result then click on the memory tab to see what is shown to be using so much memory, wouldn't be surprised if it was Edge. 

Download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Ok, I ran through each step and followed the details. I don't see a log or anything that I can share. Should I go back through and turn the settings and services back on?

Additionally, I think I'll order the 8gb more RAM...

And WOW Google Chrome is a pig with memory!!

Edited by kelltech, 13 December 2017 - 06:36 PM.