Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Freezing / Lock-Up (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer kelltech , 31 December 2017 - 10:56 AM

My apologies, I intended to reply yesterday but have been pushing to get my last 2 academic papers complete by today! I haven't had any issues since last post, I believe this has been solved. I tha... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Any repair logs should be found in C:\ Program Files\Tweaking.com\Windows Repair (All in One)\Logs

Aye put things back to normal and see how things go if you will.

Having another 8GB of RAM would enable dual channel and speed things up for you but not the answer to the high RAM usage, can you grab and upload a screenshot of Task Manager on the memory tab page so we can take a look, btw, Edge has well documented memory leak problems to it`s track record, I suggest that you disable it and stick with either Chrome or FF.

Advertisements

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Grabbed some screens of Task Manager, I think these are the screens you were asking about :D

Also found a number of logs in the Tweaking.com folder which I zipped. I'm going to disable Edge next.

Attached Thumbnails

• Memory1.PNG
  • Memory2.PNG

Attached Files

• Attached File  Logs.zip   191.94KB   429 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

While we look at your log;

On your computer, open Chrome.
At the top right, click More .
Select More tools  Task Manager.
Click “Memory” to sort Chrome processes in order of memory usage.
Make a note of what is shown to be using up the memory.

Can you also check what extension are enabled in Chrome.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Got it. I have a ton of extensions, probably need to clean this up as well.

• Addblock Plus
  • Add to Wunderlist
  • Appear.in
  • Appear.in Sharing
  • Bit.ly
  • Break Timer
  • Buffer
  • Buzzsumo
  • Docs
  • Google Docs Offline
  • Google Hangouts
  • Google Keep
  • Google Play Music
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • Loom - Video Recorder: Screen, Webcam and Mic
  • Mozbar
  • OneTab
  • Print Friendly & PDF
  • Save to Google Drive
  • Sheets
  • Site Geo IP Locator
  • Slides
  • StumbleBar by StumbleUpon
  • Tag Assistant (by Google)
  • Videostream for Google Chromecast

*Edit: Crossed out the ones I just removed from Chrome

Edited by kelltech, 14 December 2017 - 01:48 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Good news regarding the Windows AIO tool, only found a couple of problems and it fixed them, chkdsk came back all good as well.

Sorry but is that list above what is shown to be using the memory or the extensions, I don`t have a single extension so wouldn`t know one from another  :whistling:

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Oops, that's a list of the extensions installed. I removed a few already, and I forgot to attach the screenshot of the memory usage  :oops:

Attached Thumbnails

• Chr_Memory.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Adblock plus has been having issues with Chrome for a while and they are aware of it, see here

Try uBlock Origin instead which you can get from here

Regarding the other extensions, would suggest that you make a note of what you actually need, get rid of all other extensions, reboot to see how things go and only reinstall any extensions as you need them, this will allow you to identify if any other particular extension is causing you problems.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you kelltech, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Not heard back from you kelltech, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

My apologies, I took the weekend off and was not near my computer for the most part. I did leave it running however and have had no more issues. I'm going to reinstall Malwarebytes and continue using it normally. Also, my additional 8GB of RAM should arrive this Wednesday  :D

Thank you once again for all of your help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Adblock plus has been having issues with Chrome for a while and they are aware of it, see here

Try uBlock Origin instead which you can get from here

Regarding the other extensions, would suggest that you make a note of what you actually need, get rid of all other extensions, reboot to see how things go and only reinstall any extensions as you need them, this will allow you to identify if any other particular extension is causing you problems.

Did you do all of the above. if not and things have been running as they should, create a new system restore point, restart the computer, download MBAM from here and see how things go or the below courtesy of Firefox over at Malwarebytes;

Please do the following:

• You can download the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from

here

•  
  • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version 
  • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates. 
    Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

•  

Advertisements

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Did you do all of the above. if not and things have been running as they should, create a new system restore point, restart the computer, download MBAM from here and see how things go or the below courtesy of Firefox over at Malwarebytes;

I did replace Adblock Plus with uBlock, and have removed the other extensions, adding the ones I actually used back one at a time, omitting the ones that I didn't use but forgot about yet were still taking up space and resources. I'll do the restore point and follow the instructions for adding MBAM back into the picture today.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sounds like a plan  :thumbsup:

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Aw man, spoke too soon :(

I didn't get as far as the restore point and replacing MBAM. (Been tied up with work). This morning, I had 5 tabs open in Chrome and just after closing one tab, my laptop froze again. Same thing, no Windows key, ctrl-alt-del or anything else but a forced power off and reboot. I think I'll remove Chrome and install a fresh copy.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Did you do all of the above. if not and things have been running as they should, create a new system restore point, restart the computer, download MBAM from here and see how things go or the below courtesy of Firefox over at Malwarebytes;

I did replace Adblock Plus with uBlock, and have removed the other extensions, adding the ones I actually used back one at a time, omitting the ones that I didn't use but forgot about yet were still taking up space and resources. I'll do the restore point and follow the instructions for adding MBAM back into the picture today.

Ouch, sorry but got to say it, the restore point should have been created before you started adding any extensions back in, by the by now, will wait on your next update for now, fingers crossed for you  :thumbsup:

kelltech

kelltech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Yeah oops...I got ahead of myself about the restore point!

I did install the additional RAM, very nice, and will try to run this thing good and well for about the next week. Fingers crossed!!