Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can I install windows 10 on external hard disk and run all programs

windows 10 Revit external hard disk

• Please log in to reply

jovanmili91

jovanmili91

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Can I install windows 10 on external hard disk and run all programs on that windows without any problems (Photoshop, Revit, Lumion). If it is possible, what type of external hdd should I buy (maybe link of product)? Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,121 posts

:welcome:   jovanmili91,

It depends on whether or not your computer can boot from a USB device, most modern computers can but a lot of older ones cannot.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the computer, if a custom build post the brand and model name or number of the motherboard for us.

Let us know what country you will be making any purchase so we can look for an external HDD where you are.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,630 posts

If your computer uses SATA drives, you can. There are external cases which connect using eSATA, although the removable part only works when the system is running if your computer supports it, otherwise you can only remove it when the system is down. You would need to buy the case and the SATA drive to go in it.

For example:

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16817182316

I have different external cases and the older ones were sold with the back connector panel, but the last one I got did not, so you might have to buy that separately.

As far as the computer is concerned, it looks just like an internal SATA drive.

Channeal

Channeal

• PipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Forgive me butting in guys; I normally resist the temptation to poke my nose in on these forums (probably a good thing, as I don't really know very much at all! :no:) but this topic is one that interests me a lot, especially as - while being helped on this forum back in 2014 - I spent a lot of time futilely attempting to install Windows onto my own external drive. Ha! Ha! :laughing:

Anyway, a little while ago I came across an article relating to this subject and I just wanted to post a link to it here. I have no idea whether or not what they are saying is complete rubbish, or whether the programs etc they recommend are things that the experts here will immediately say should not be touched with a barge pole....... but anyway, the link is as follows: -

https://www.pcworld....rnal-drive.html

Chris.

Edited by Channeal, 05 January 2018 - 02:17 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• 22,121 posts

Never feel as such Chris  :no:

All constructive input is most welcome, thank you for posting the link so that it may help others  :thumbsup:

ahs89

ahs89

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Get yourself an external SATA Case and install it in your casing after that you can swap your drive around. that is the best way to use a hard drive and secure it from other people using it.