Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Question about upgrading storage HDD in a system with an SSD boot driv

• Please log in to reply

Chucklebun

Chucklebun

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Hi guys,

My fiancee is running out of room on her gaming PC's 1 terabyte storage hard drive. I thought that a 3-5 TB HDD would be a nice holiday present for her, I was just wondering if it's a hassle to transfer the data. Every guide I found on the web is pretty much focused on upgrading a drive which contains both OS and storage - but her OS is installed on an SSD, while pretty much everything else is located on the 1 TB HDD. Is it as simple as copy and paste, or is there a wizard or....?

System info:
Windows Home 7 Premium 64 bit

256 GB SSD Boot Drive

1 TB Storage HDD
16 GB RAM

More info is avail if you need more info to answer this question, I would just need to boot her machine up.

Thanks for reading, and any help, words of advice, links to a guide etc.

Advertisements