Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wifi issues...

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Not sure why your TV is showing up on the Wireless list.  If you unplug it does that have any effect on your wireless speed?

Honestly I haven't tried that but I will. Have to shut PC down as well. I use the tv as a monitor as well. Just put it in  a week ago tomorrow. I'll try it and get back to you.

Edited by bigtrucks, 14 December 2017 - 04:50 PM.

Advertisements

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

So before I unplugged The TV, I tried one more thing with the settings on the router. I have 2.4 & 5G. I also have a guest access in case I don't want just anyone with my passphrase. I activated the guest network 3 different ways.

First, I gave access to the 2.4(when you look at the images you'll see) refreshed No luck.

Second, I gave access to the 5G again No luck.

It wasn't until I gave access to both, that the Netgar50 WiFi showed up on the tablets.(after ticking and holding down until it gave me a choice to modify and put the passphrase in) Bada Boom Bada Bang! I'm connected.

I don't understand. I still think that either the modem/router they put in has effected it or the tech unknowingly did something to interfere with my router.

Now to try my security cameras which lead me to this point in the first pace. :upset: lol

My only fear is that even though I have 2 different passphrases on both Guest, (it took the original one from the router itself.(the one that came with it) and that anyone can access my WiFi. This just boggles my mind. :headscratch:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-12-14 (1).png
  • 2017-12-14.png

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

One More thing,then I'm logging off and trying my cameras. In the network settings it's ticked on Get Dynamically from ISP instead of the static IP address. Would that change things around?

Attached Files

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Get Dynamically from ISP is normal unless you bought a static address.

The guest account can have a password even tho it may not by default but the main difference between it and your main account is it normally can only access the Internet.  It can't talk to the other computers on your local network unless you tick the box that allows it. 

There is some chatter on the netgear website about Adblock causing problems when you log on to the router.  (Just thought I'd mention it)

No idea what the tech could have done to your router.  If the WiFi is not turned on on the modem then it shouldn't cause a problem.