Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems with new build

• Please log in to reply

fernsy

fernsy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i have just recieved a pc of friend and when i plug everything in and start it up it stays on 4 about 5-6 secs the hdd kick in then goes off

i have a microstar 6570 motherboard 10 gig hdd and 128 mb ram pc2100

the thing is when i take the cpu out it stays on

could any1 pleas help

Advertisements

Hawker

Hawker

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
does it get to the p.o.s.t screen? i would make sure the CPU was compatible w/ your motherboard, and check the power supply out....

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

could it b that i havnt yet got a graphics card and its noticed that and switching itself off

hope someone can help

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
A. i cant find your mobo.
B. have you got a os installed.
C. Does it have integrated graphics.
I can only assume its an old pc that your freind gave you, was it working for your friend if so there might have been some damage in transit and you should check everything is connected inside.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i dont yet have an os as its a new hdd and yes i think it has intergrated graphics

http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=393

Edited by fernsy, 19 June 2005 - 08:02 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would try to put an os on it, use a win xp boot cd.
Nothing mentioned there about integrated graphics so it wont have any more than likely so the main question is where did you get the pc from is it an old one you are getting off a friend, if so was it built or bought.
I really cant believe that the pc is a "new" build it must be worth 50 quid at most i cant find any of the parts available for purchase. Try putting the HD in another pc to check its ok or try another HD make sure it is ATA133.
What cpu have you got in it.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 June 2005 - 11:52 AM.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i will hav 2 wait untill i get my graphics card as thats all i need now so i carnt yet do anything but i dont see why it just switches itself off after about 5-6 seconds

he just gave me the case with the mother board and the bluetooth adapters etc which came with it. i bought the cpu 1.3gig amd duron witch is compatible with the motherboard i had a hdd and i bought 128mb pc2100 ram for it

Edited by fernsy, 19 June 2005 - 11:59 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well with no gfx card it wont matter you wont see anything, the system is incomplete unless it is finished you cant accurately dignose or fix a problem with it.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

did u get my added message

and im just bout to buy a gfx card of ebay an ati radeon 7000

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
well i would do a full reformat of the HD since it is an old one, i am surprised you were able to find a duron they arent in much demand. But until you get a graphics card it will be hard to see whats wrong with it.
But reformat the drive because if there was a previous os it would cause problems. The bios for the board should be updated too when you get the chance.

Advertisements

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

i have just red an article which could b why its not working it sed

I removed the heatsink to see if the heatsink paste made contact with the CPU...it didn't! It wasn't even smeared on the CPU. So, I re-mounted it and windows is all installed and the computer is running like a dream!

is there a possibility this is the case because his would do the same as mine

ive just checked and there is no paste between the heatsink and the cpu

Edited by fernsy, 19 June 2005 - 01:16 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah well definately get some on their the board will have shut down your pc to prevent further damage ot your cpu. Get some arctic silver 5 and put it on be aware though there might have been some damage. Oh and it might have had a thermal pad on check the underside of the hsf, amd hsf comes with the pad on the bottom its not as good as quality paste but it does the job.

If it doesnt have a pad i wouldnt get anything else off your friend they clearly havent got a clue.(Unless you put on the cpu then you are the muppet but it doesnt sound like you did). Dont let someone else do what you can do yourself your components really arent worth much so in the rare event of you breaking something it wouldnt be the end of the world.

Mind you i feel i should tell you that you can buy recycled pc with better spec for less hassle and probably less money, also people will often give pcs like that away for free.

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

thanks for the info

sixpack6t9

sixpack6t9

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
That 6500 series is an old mobo. What it sounds like to me, is that whomever you got the setup from most likely switched RAM, possibly the CPU and any cards that they thought were better than what they had in the one they must be trying to build. That may be why it sounds like your CPU was not seated in the socket properly. If I recall, your board is a socket 7, SPGA, and I have worked on two separate setups where the previous owner actually stuffed a "PGA" processor into an "SPGA" socket. much like forcing a square peg into a round hole. Amazingly, it fit into the socket, but of course would never have worked no matter what else was done. Sounds like you got the scraps. I wouldn't go thank your friend for the gift just yet.

You may have other hardware issues that pop up unannounced later on. I suggest if you have any new problems, that you have your chipset checked and go through the whole works looking for compatibility issues. Personally, I'd toss it and start over the right way, with the right parts and plenty of reference material.
Good luck in your learning adventure!

fernsy

fernsy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
hi

its a socket a 462 i just recieved the motherboard in the original case i added 1.3gig amd duron, hdd and 128mb ram i dont think the hs is touching the cpu plus i need some cpu compound so dya think this is why its switching itself off as ive sed b4 i need a gfx card aswel first