Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Feature Update version 1709 fails

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

My computer is continually taking over all the bandwidth in my household as it keeps trying to download the feature update, but never can install it. Looking at the update history I see that it's failed to install Feature Update version 1709 many times over the last many weeks. It does successfully install the cumulative update however.

Is there any solution to take care of this problem? I'm having to disconnect the computer from the internet so that the other devices can still get some bandwidth because this computer never seems to stop trying to download this huge feature update. It doesn't help that my internet is not very fast either, so each time it starts the cycle over again, it takes the entire day.

I've turned the metered connection on, but that stops all security updates, including Windows Defender which is my antivirus, so I don't want to continue doing that.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello my_name,

Does your computer happen to be a brand name such as Dell or HP etc?

If you are comfortable with it you can delay the download using the Group Policy Editor, if you do this be sure to back up and create a new system restore point first.

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

Hi Phil, I have Windows 10 home, so I don't believe there is a group policy, correct? It is a Dell computer.  Is there a reason you can think of for why it's in this continual loop of downloading? It's gone through all these steps of downloading but never installs.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Run SFC /scannow from a Command Prompt running as Administrator.

SFC reports any problems?

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

Thanks, SleepyDude. That is a good suggestion. I should have mentioned I did run SFC. It did not find any problems. Could there still be a corrupted download?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

What Antivirus program you have?

Can you describe exactly what happens when you try to upgrade?

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

I have Windows Defender, just what's built into Windows 10. Since I have had to shut the internet off in order to not have this computer take over the internet bandwidth, it starts downloading whatever new updates there are when I turn it back on, then it starts back all over again on the feature update. I already had reserved an entire day to not use the internet for any other purpose but downloading this feature update a few weeks ago. It got to 100% downloaded and said it needed to restart to complete the installation. When I restarted, nothing happened, no installation, no messages.

Now, it seems to keep repeating this process. The cumulative Windows 10 update downloaded and installed yesterday. It said it needed a restart to complete the installation for the cumulative update and after restarting, that was successfully installed, but the feature update started the download all over again. Once again, taking all the bandwidth from the everything else. Looking at the update history, I see it says failed to install Feature Update 1709 a bunch of times.

I did already install the feature update 1709 on my laptop, so I know how it was supposed to work. This other computer is my desktop, which, except for this internet update problem, is much faster than my laptop, so I don't like having to keep this constant download in limbo. I would have preferred Microsoft not have feature updates mandatory, but since there doesn't seem to be any way to permanently decline the update, I would rather get it over with and not be bothered about this continually. Unfortunately, it seems even if I leave this computer on all day, it will just go through the same loop of starting the download all over again and not accomplishing anything, at least with the feature update.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

See if you have any of those files:

• C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.log
  • C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setupact.err

Zip them and try to attach them to your post

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

I don't have a Rollback folder.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

And this? C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\panther\setupact.log

Advertisements

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

I've attached the last log you requested.

Attached Files

Edited by my_name, 16 December 2017 - 10:24 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I've attached the last log you requested.

I don't see it!

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

Sorry, it didn't attach the first time. You should see it now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hi Phil, I have Windows 10 home, so I don't believe there is a group policy, correct? It is a Dell computer.  Is there a reason you can think of for why it's in this continual loop of downloading? It's gone through all these steps of downloading but never installs.

Hi my_name,

Sorry should have asked that, I tend to forget that not everyone runs Windows Pro, there is a way around it but for now wait and see what Rui has in mind please.

my_name

my_name

GeekU Junior

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Junior
  • 383 posts

Sorry about not getting the attachment the first time. My computer was blocking flash and I had to use the basic uploader. Apparently, I didn't know what I was doing. Anyway, it should be there now.

I left my desktop connected to the internet this morning for awhile and it says it's up to date, last checked 12.15.17, but it's been running up the internet again in the background (svchost) nonstop with no apparent progress being made, so I had to disconnect the internet.