Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Usb ports not being recognised.

• Please log in to reply

catmitt

catmitt

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello,

I have been having trouble with my usb ports for awhile, sometimes working, sometimes not.

Now the top one works for some, the other 2 nothing.

Please help.

Thank you.

Sony Vaio laptop windows 7

Advertisements

Lyndon0326

Lyndon0326

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling their drivers on the device manager? Make sure they are updated as well. If problem still occurs, you have a chance of 90% hardware failure. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello catmitt,

Can you post the exact model of Sony Vaio it is that you you have, if you take a look at the info here you will see that there are many different ones and we need the correct one so that we can check the specs.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Hello catmitt,

Can you post the exact model of Sony Vaio it is that you you have, if you take a look at the info here you will see that there are many different ones and we need the correct one so that we can check the specs.

Sony VAIO VGN-AR11B Windows 7 x64

Edited by catmitt, 18 December 2017 - 04:27 PM.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling their drivers on the device manager? Make sure they are updated as well. If problem still occurs, you have a chance of 90% hardware failure. 

Yes it seemed to work, then i had problems again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Sony VAIO VGN-AR11B has one USB 2.0 port at the rear and two USB 2.0 ports on the side, this means that they all use the same drivers which in turn means that if it were a driver issue none of them should work at all.

Do the ports work if you boot into Safe mode by tapping the F8 key when you restart the notebook.

Are all the ports in a good condition, not bent, worn or loose.

What devices will and will not work in the ports.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Sony VAIO VGN-AR11B has one USB 2.0 port at the rear and two USB 2.0 ports on the side, this means that they all use the same drivers which in turn means that if it were a driver issue none of them should work at all.

Do the ports work if you boot into Safe mode by tapping the F8 key when you restart the notebook.

Its a laptop and all 3 ports are on the side. The top one that was still working has a lightning bolt by it.

Last night i tried a previous restore point, and seem to have the driver back.

But i still need to test everything, will do so tomorrow, its been another busy day...

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

I just had a quick try, and its now displaying the problems that i have had recently.

Ok i got the driver back ok.

This is what has been happening.

I have a few cruzer slices.

Recently sometimes when i plug in, the light flashes on and off, the menu doesnt display, Then the safely remove button gives the msg - Open Devices and Printers.

Also on testing just now, it worked in port 2, didnt work in port 3 (as above) Then didnt work in port 2 !!

Some days they work, some days they dont.

Confused.

I hope this means something to you.

I have tried reinstalling the drivers on device manager several times.

I cant find a pattern to this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Its a laptop and all 3 ports are on the side. The top one that was still working has a lightning bolt by it.

Something is not right with either the notebook identification or the Sony user manual which clearly says one rear USB port and two on the right hand side of the notebook, user manual here + two attachments below.

As an asides catmitt, it would be helpful if you when possible you answered each question asked and used the edit tab rather than double post, thanks.

You mention USB thumb drives sometimes work and sometimes do not, classic signs of worn ports, do all of your thumb drives work ok in other computers, have you tried connecting any other USB devices such as a printer or external hard drive etc.

Did this computer originally ship with Windows XP back in 2006.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Something is not right with either the notebook identification or the Sony user manual which clearly says one rear USB port and two on the right hand side of the notebook, user manual here + two attachments below.

As an asides catmitt, it would be helpful if you when possible you answered each question asked and used the edit tab rather than double post, thanks.

You mention USB thumb drives sometimes work and sometimes do not, classic signs of worn ports, do all of your thumb drives work ok in other computers, have you tried connecting any other USB devices such as a printer or external hard drive etc.

Did this computer originally ship with Windows XP back in 2006.

Apologies, that was my first Sony. This one is the SVS1511S9E, my 2nd secondhand laptop. I had to upgrade when the first one could not handle anymore, small processor etc.

Ok i have had this laptop for a few years, and i got it off ebay, i believe it was about a year old. I wanted another Sony, and it offered the specs i was looking for. It was as new, but had no paperwork with it. All info i have found myself off the internet a few years back.

I am a photographer and have a lot of pics. I mainly use WD Elements for pic storage, no problem with them! The Sandiscs are for bits and pieces and sharing pics. The 2 people i share with have had no probs with my usbs, and i dont get problems normally with the sandiiscs, but the last 2 times i used one after a friend put pics for me on it, i did have this problem. Tho last time i thought i had resolved the problem after using device manager. 

So is it possible that sharing it on that other laptop has caused a problem on mine? It is altering how it opens.

I will run through device manager again this eve and see what happens.

Everything else works ok that i plug in. Mouse, HDs and the printer. No probs there.

Please forgive my rusty head that i have atm.

I will test again this eve and report back.

Many thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I mainly use WD Elements for pic storage, no problem with them! 

Everything else works ok that i plug in. Mouse, HDs and the printer. No probs there.

i dont get problems normally with the sandiiscs, but the last 2 times i used one after a friend put pics for me on it, i did have this problem. 

Which suggests that the problem is not with the USB ports themselves but with the Sandisk thumb drives in some way.

Just a btw, the USB you mention that has a lightening bolt by it, the symbol means that you can use it as a USB charging device.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you catmitt, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

I have reinstalled the drivers again.

As before, some usbs work, others do not. As before the ones that worked last time i plugged in, may not work this time. And vice versa.

I can find no pattern.

A search around the internet revealed problems with the sandisks with windows 7 64 bit, which is what i have. But i have used these for years without problems.

I do need to get to the bottom of this problem.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

It is nothing to do with your computer it is the thumb drive that you are using, you have confirmed this yourself with the printer and mouse working without issue using the same USB ports, if you keep on trying to fix something that is not broken you will end up breaking it, purchase new thumb drives of a different brand it will be relatively inexpensive and far less stressful.

Btw, you really should not be copying data from someone else`s computer via thumb drive, no matter how well you know them USB Flash Drives Are More Dangerous Than You Think

catmitt

catmitt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

It is nothing to do with your computer it is the thumb drive that you are using, you have confirmed this yourself with the printer and mouse working without issue using the same USB ports, if you keep on trying to fix something that is not broken you will end up breaking it, purchase new thumb drives of a different brand it will be relatively inexpensive and far less stressful.

Btw, you really should not be copying data from someone else`s computer via thumb drive, no matter how well you know them USB Flash Drives Are More Dangerous Than You Think

OK will do. I have 5 here. I dont understand why all of them are affected, and sometimes work and sometimes dont.