Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 DNS server on 2 ISP's

DNS server Dual ISP

• Please log in to reply

Lyndon0326

Lyndon0326

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Geeks! 

First I would like you to know that Im a newby on site, just got some few inquiries regarding Networking and hopefully I can find solutions here. It would be a great help on my company if problem resolved. 

So here's a network summary I am facing right now.

We recently subscribed from an ISP for backup purpose, simply means we are currently running on 2 provider. Now with these, I wonder if my network topology will work since I only have 1 DNS server for users/machines and I wanted to link this to both ISP with 2 different LAN subnets ofcourse. Would that be possible? I have attached my network design and hoping you to suggest if you find it wrong or whatever you think it would be good at the end. 

Thank you in advance!

Attached Thumbnails

• Proposed_2_WAN_setup.jpg

Edited by Lyndon0326, 18 December 2017 - 03:12 AM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

We had an issue at work because we were switching internet routing.  Resolved quickly by updating DNS.  If you were to put both isp's into a router and then your dns and then your network, I think that would work well.  Essentially your diagram shows two independent networks with a common dns.  Not that it can't work that way, but it makes it more complicated.

Lyndon0326

Lyndon0326

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi Starjax,

Thank you very much for your reply. Actually I have thought of that, having a Dual WAN router to support both provider and connecting the rest of the device under. Well just trying to do this setup if will work. Because during the configuration day, I am getting error warning on the DNS IP configuration mode saying I have multiple gateways (obviously because I have 2 network) and this might conflict with the rest though I continued the setup still. I've noticed that my continues pings dropped but the weird thing is this happened after maybe 20 mins monitoring. Not quite sure what's the issue then.