Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 keeps restarting/rebooting (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer spidergirl79 , 18 January 2018 - 03:31 PM

I got rid of the AVAST! Thanks for your help on that.   Domestic circuit. So something in my house? Oh no.. And come to think of it, the other PC in our house does not wake up from s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

K, see how things go for now, any further problems, uninstall all of the present AMD software using DDU then use the AMD auto detect tool here to get the drivers recommended by them.

Advertisements

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I'm running the PC in normal mode, and gaming, since yesterday, and I have had no reboots as of yet. Have been running today since 1pm and still no reboots as of yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Good news hopefully  :thumbsup:

Would recommend that if the computer is running stable that you create a new system restore point for use in case the issue reappears.

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

I did that! (Oddly, this PC had no system restore enabled, had to do all that. Wasn't really sure how much space to allocate for it, my C drive is close to full as I've moved some stuff into my One Drive to back up but I'll delete it when its done) .... anyway, no problems with rebooting so far. Should I mark this as solved because the rebooting issue seems to be solved? I still plan to replace the power supply asap.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Feel free to mark the thread as having been solved if you are happy to do so, only your good self can sort out the new PSU  :) please do take onboard the additional info that I have post below though else you will be needing to start a new thread for a corrupt OS over on the Windows 10 forum.

That is quite often the case tbh, all depends who set the computer up, system builders for example wouldn't take the time to do it, no money in it for them.

Wasn't really sure how much space to allocate for it, my C drive is close to full 

That is dangerous ground, see my canned info below for as to why.

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure you must always have a minimum of 20 to 25% of the HDDs or partitions overall storage capacity available as free space where Windows is installed and between 10 and 15% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if there is data only on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently particularily important for Windows file swapping and the installation of OS and AV updates.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information here and here

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Okay I'm going to start freeing up and shuffling stuff around to clear out my C drive. It's usually not this full at all, but in my panic over a total meltdown I decided to move some files from the D drive to the C to save them to One Drive. Thanks a bunch!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You are welcome spidergirl79 and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hi! Sooooo I'm back. With a brand new power supply and a PC that is STILL rebooting. I gamed for a while and for once the fan was actually going up faster in the AMD settings which it never did before. In fact the fan is running faster in general now. I don't doubt that was a crap PSU.

But my PC rebooted AFTER gaming was shut down, while I was browsing. It happened this morning with three tabs open and just now while I was on a wordpress blog. No games, just browsing the web. I don't even know what to do anymore. Again, I got that Kernal-power issue.

Here is the EXACT error: 

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows 

Here are some ideas by microsoft https://support.micr...d-without-cleanwhich for me might as well be in chinese :/ 

Some information events that came up just before the critical error were: 

Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following power management capabilities:

Idle state type: ACPI Idle © States (2 state(s))

Performance state type: ACPI Performance (P) / Throttle (T) States
Nominal Frequency (MHz): 3500
Maximum performance percentage: 100
Minimum performance percentage: 40
Minimum throttle percentage: 40

and moments before: Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance  (Kernal)

and fifteen seconds later WHEA logger:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: 11
Processor APIC ID: 0

:'(

The new power supply is a Coolmaster MasterWatt 750W and I told them my computer brand and my graphics card, this is what he recommended. He said the same thing as you, no generic brands.

Edited by spidergirl79, 03 January 2018 - 04:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Hmm, 10 days without a crash  :headscratch:

Apart from the new PSU has anything else been changed, any changes made to the system settings etc.

When was the PSU swapped out.

Have you tried using the system restore point that was suggested in reply #18 on 26/12/2017.

Can you post a new Speccy url and a link to the model of PSU that you have purchased.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

Flush DNS

Reset FF proxy Settings

Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Attach the results to your next reply for us please.

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Okay here is the MTB zip.

Hmm, 10 days without a crash  

I think it was less days than that. I think it crashed 3 times in total after I closed this thread but I figured it was due to the old power supply. I also didn't play the computer at all for one whole day because of my paranoia.

Apart from the new PSU has anything else been changed, any changes made to the system settings etc.

Nope. The PC crashes whether my graphics are slightly enhanced or not at all. I don't generally mess around with system settings, except to update drivers. 

After the latest crash, I unplugged my PC from a old power bar and plugged it into the wall instead.

When was the PSU swapped out.

Yesterday. After we noticed that the fan actually responded to load (gaming, internet, open at the same time) we thought it was 'fixed'.

Here is a link to the power supply that I purchased. I went to a local PC shop we've always used and I told them my exact graphics card and PC brand (and he agreed that you should never go generic). He recommended this brand, and my friend who is an IT for the local hospital installed it. http://www.coolermas...masterwatt-750/

Here is the latest Speccy http://speccy.pirifo...Mwgs7HkxzovmMgG

Advertisements

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Looks like the zip didn't attach, will try again sorry

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.zip   6.1KB   464 downloads

Edited by spidergirl79, 03 January 2018 - 03:14 PM.

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

PC crashed just now, had been plugged into the wall. Also, I noticed my friend forgot to use the new power cord so I changed that and it crashed regardless.

"A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge"

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000124 (0x0000000000000000, 0xffffd9869fb558f8, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010318-7578-01.dmp. Report Id: 5d74246f-6706-4960-98ef-acceb1f73f3b.

Here is the mini dump. Okay, the last 3.... actually. 

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

The PC crashes whether my graphics are slightly enhanced or not at all. I don't generally mess around with system settings, except to update drivers. 

One of the most common causes of computer problems is updating stable drivers, dealt with that many driver update issues that I have canned info for it;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and again may not resolve the issue.

When possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

See info courtesy of lifehacker here

Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that companies such as Iobit offer and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

For you to do while I look at the MTB log and crash dmps, btw, your video card is sill running hot.

Power Profile

Active power scheme: Razer Cortex Power Plan As a starting point uninstall this and make Balanced the default power plan in Windows, anything other than Balanced is a form of overclocking that can cause instability.

Hibernation: Enabled Disable this less than useless setting "how to" below;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

Turn off Fast Boot  "how to" below;

Type Control Panel in the search box.
Click Control Panel.
Click Power Options.
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
Click Save changes.

Edit to add: Not looking like a driver issue, same cause of each crash Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and possible causes explained here

Getting late here so going offline now, will check back in the morning UK time.

spidergirl79

spidergirl79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Tip

If using a computer and not a mobile phone, please avoid adding multiple posts while waiting for us to reply to your last, edit your last post to include anything that you wish to add, this will ensure nothing gets overlooked which can sometimes happen if a thread has more than one page. 

The PC crashes whether my graphics are slightly enhanced or not at all. I don't generally mess around with system settings, except to update drivers. 

One of the most common causes of computer problems is updating stable drivers, dealt with that many driver update issues that I have canned info for it;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and again may not resolve the issue.

When possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

See info courtesy of lifehacker here

Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that companies such as Iobit offer and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

For you to do while I look at the MTB log and crash dmps, btw, your video card is sill running hot.

Power Profile

Active power scheme: Razer Cortex Power Plan As a starting point uninstall this and make Balanced the default power plan in Windows, anything other than Balanced is a form of overclocking that can cause instability.

Hibernation: Enabled Disable this less than useless setting "how to" below;

Open the Win+X menu, and click/tap on Command Prompt (Admin)
In the elevated command prompt, powercfg -h off press Enter and you are done.

Turn off Fast Boot  "how to" below;

Type Control Panel in the search box.
Click Control Panel.
Click Power Options.
Click Choose what the power buttons do.
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
Scroll down to Shutdown settings and uncheck Turn on fast startup.
Click Save changes.

Edit to add: Not looking like a driver issue, same cause of each crash Bug Check 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and possible causes explained here

Getting late here so going offline now, will check back in the morning UK time.

Okay, by the Win+X menu, I'm assuming you mean teh windows key on my keyboard plus x. When I do that, a grey menu appears but there is no command prompt (admin). However, I can click on RUN and enter CMD and it comes up but ...it doesn't say Admin on it. Anyway, after entering powercfg -h off  after entering this it says "Unable to perform operation. An unexpected error (0x65b) has occurred. Function failed during execution.

EDIT TO ADD: Entered CMD into search and right clicked on it on the menu and the option "run as administrator" was there, so then I entered  command powercfg -h off and it worked,...or at least there was no unexpected error this time

Also side point when I attempted to enter the mini dump file it said I didn't have permission to view, I click okay to give myself permission, I don't think that happened before???

I turned off fast boot.

I uninstalled razor cortex and went back to the balanced settings. Still at 63 degrees. :/

Now I go to chiropractor ...thanks again for your help and reply tip and I shall await further input. :)

ETA: I figured out what I was doing wrong with turning off hibernation. Also with my GC running hot, when I start to actually do gaming, it gets hotter now, but that's when the fan kicks in (finally) when it goes over 65. It really starts to go fast now. I ran the memory diagnostics tool and no errors were detected. (I guess that's a good thing?)

Edited by spidergirl79, 03 January 2018 - 06:11 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Going to sound like a nag  :whistling:

There is no need to quote every reply in it`s entirety, use snippets to emphasise whatever you need to but the whole post just makes work for us both and does not help any.

Fast boot, Hibernation and Power Plan info acknowledged  :thumbsup:

If I can just add to the list restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS again.

Noticed the following in Speccy, you most like do not even know that it is there.

2018-01-04 12:38 PM;: SafeZone scheduled Autoupdate 1462383785

This belongs to Avast, any idea how it got on your machine, Avast SafeZone browser info here