Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about Error Code 0x80004005

• Please log in to reply

Justus Caplinger

Justus Caplinger

• Pip
  • 7 posts

My dad said his Windows XP computer had problems, so I offered to salvage his files. I was able to use a Windows 10 installation/repair disc to access the file explorer.

The trouble is, I can't access Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc., and when I tried to transfer one of them to a flashdrive, the above error code has appeared. It's almost as if the hard drive is missing (and I'm sure it isn't).

I read through the following solution to resolve this error:

http://www.instant-r...ode-0x80004005/

There are two methods on that page, and since my dad bought his computer as a Windows XP, I don't need to follow Method 1. I can, however, follow Method 2, since I have the Windows XP installation disc.

The thing I want to know is: if I rename and replace the trouble files as described in Method 2, will it affect the files I am trying to salvage?

EDIT: I tried typing the cd %SystemRoot%\System32 command into the Recovery Console, but the following message appeared:

There is no floppy disc or CD in the drive.

How can this error be resolved?

Edited by Justus Caplinger, 22 December 2017 - 11:59 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

My dad said his Windows XP computer had problems, so I offered to salvage his files. I was able to use a Windows 10 installation/repair disc to access the file explorer.

The trouble is, I can't access Desktop, Documents, Downloads, etc., and when I tried to transfer one of them to a flashdrive, the above error code has appeared. It's almost as if the hard drive is missing (and I'm sure it isn't).

There are various reasons why what you have tried has not worked and potentially the main one being that what you are trying to obtain from XP is not compatible with the Windows 10 OS, 32 bit as opposed to Windows 10 being 64-bit etc. (you do not mention what you are trying to recover).

The HDD is obviously present else you would not have seen any files so an activation or security setting (including an AV program) are the two main suspects, MS have info on what to try here here but if me I would use Puppy Linux to recover the data tbh.