Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc wont boot into windows from BIOs

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Its odd that with the recovery flash drive- the one that failed to recover, only gave me cmd option within the advanced options screen.

Not understanding this at all, are you saying that shutting down and restarting the computer multiple times got you into the Recovery Environment where you were then able to insert your USB thumb drive and open a command prompt!

Advertisements

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

As you can see how my trying to explain frusterates people..thats the way iam.. But yes, with the flash drive plugged in, i pressed f2 to boot from flash drive from bios. Upon doing that, iam presented with the advanced screen.  Everything except the cmd option works. 

Recovery problem: 

File: \windows\system32\drivers\bfadi.sys

Edited by Malcolm1777, 24 December 2017 - 12:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not frustrating only puzzled as to why your answers are so cryptic  :lol:

You still havn`t told us if shutting down and restarting the computer numerous times got you into the Windows (RE) as said the feedback here could potentially save other folk an awful lot of time and trouble.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Whoop. Unfortunately i cant get into PE after turn on and off numerous times.  When iam in advanced options, i choose (repair) but it fail everytime. Going back to previous build failed. Why? Because before this issue came up, i deleted windows old folder to regain space, i was at 403GB then gained back to 430-31GB. Let this be a lesson to all, dont delete your windows old folder ..you may need it in a case like this

advancedopt.png

Iam still trying to find commands to use to regain control of pc bro...before pay asus to reinstall os... They said reinstall disk wont solve issue, but i still think it will

Edited by Malcolm1777, 24 December 2017 - 01:39 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Choose the Command Prompt option, type the following command DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth press Enter.

May take 20 minutes or so, if this does not fix it you are looking at a Repair Installation for which you will need media.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

It says error 87. The online/cleanup image option is unknown. For more info by running DISM.exe /?

Asus is trying to squeeze money out of me... The install disk is what i need to reset pc. Reset option failed in advanced menu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You can get such an error if the command is incorrectly entered, try again making sure to leave a space between the forward slashes; 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Ok ill try again and post it. I tried startup repair again, 

Log file: C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt....whatever that means. I even typed in bcdedit commands to fix boot and it repaired it...but the issue still remains. Ill be back

I typed as you said, still error (87).  Its looking like the install disk is only hope here

Edited by Malcolm1777, 24 December 2017 - 02:48 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
I am not trying to step in, but I saw my name mentioned and he was wondering about the command we used last time to get him running which was as follows to restore his registry. At the end of our last communication you had told me you made a backup image. If so, why cant you restore from it?

Cmd prompt type the following
Xcopy c:\Windows\System32\config\regback c:\Windows\System32\config  (change drive letter if necessary)

Edited by dmccoy, 24 December 2017 - 02:55 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Always welcome dmccoy  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hmm it said (0) files copied.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

IMG_20171224_132020.jpg

Hmm it said (0) files copied. Nice try though

How about the registry itself? Any hints? Heres the hive page. Ive got the one flash drive inserted, thats recovery. Theres boot.

i want to point out...when i looked into registry, went to profile list, where it has 3 sections, S-1-518 and  S-1-519 and S-1-5-20, the (.bak) is missing

Edited by Malcolm1777, 24 December 2017 - 03:40 PM.

dmccoy

dmccoy

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 1,295 posts
Thanks Phillpower2,

Sounds like you must not have a registry backup then. Did you look in the directory to see if anything is there? It looks like you have a recovery drive. Can you recover from it? Where did it come from? What about the backup image I thought you created last time we worked together?

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

I dont know what to look for in registry specifically. As for iso, all i did was do recovery and created on flash drive. The recovery couldnt rescue my pc...what i suspect is i didnt set up the recovery process after downloading it. I could try and see inside recovery flash and take a picture and post on here

wondering... Lets say i do use the disk option, which one do i use? The  retail version or OEM one? And can disk work even if win10 was pre installed on pc?

Edited by Malcolm1777, 24 December 2017 - 09:13 PM.

Malcolm1777

Malcolm1777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

bump

I want to highlight here

In cmd, after run chkdsk,typing chkdsk c, results said stage 3 found errors in upper case file. Running chkdsk in read mode only...tried running chkdsk fix option, said cannot lock current drive because its write protected.

I still think buying an install disk would work. No harm in trying...but a costly on at that. Everything is costly. From repair to buying disk, or having data transferred to new HDD etc