Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RoG Asus G751J Randomly Shutting down

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hi!

So, I replaced the battery in my husbands laptop a little over a month ago. He has a RoG Asus G751J. I found the replacement battery on amazon. The previous battery was not charging at all. The new battery charges and will hold a charge for a small time frame when taken off the power chord, however it does not last long and will just suddenly shutdown completely. We are able to turn it back on immediately and see that the battery didn't lose any charge aside from what is from normal use, but if we don't plug it in it will shut down again after a while. 

I am really thinking its an issue with the battery, but I don't want to go through the hassle of replacing it again unless absolutely necessary (its an internal battery and a TOTAL pain to get to).

According to amazon I am able to return it as late as January 31st. 

Any help provided is immensely appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   aryanalograsso,

Couple of questions if I may;

Before the previous battery went bad, would the computer run ok on battery power only.

The computer shipped with Windows 8.1 according to the ASUS specs here have the Windows 10 chipset drivers ever been installed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Pain or not I would RMA the battery. No point in delaying  the inevitable.

I see what you mean about a pain though. Looked at disassembly instructions. WHo is the genius who designed this Laptop?

Anyway, really good instructions here: https://www.youtube....h?v=i96gD_AcAe0

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Before the previous battery went bad, would the computer run ok on battery power only.

The computer shipped with Windows 8.1 according to the ASUS specs here have the Windows 10 chipset drivers ever been installed.

I am not sure if the new drivers were ever installed. I'll check into that right now. 

With the original battery, it did run OK for the most part. At least from what we can remember. I'm not sure exactly when the problems started. 

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Pain or not I would RMA the battery. No point in delaying  the inevitable.

I see what you mean about a pain though. Looked at disassembly instructions. WHo is the genius who designed this Laptop?

Anyway, really good instructions here: https://www.youtube....h?v=i96gD_AcAe0

It was mostly just tedious to do. I'm not sure who designed it, but they need to be smacked LOL

I useda  youtube video the first time I took it apart. It made it a lot easier following it step by step. 

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Heres what I found is on the laptop. The second image that says "chipset" is what is provided on the ASUS website. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture1.PNG

Edited by aryanalograsso, 25 December 2017 - 02:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Aye checked and then double checked the available drivers here remember to create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

Something else to do, uninstall the Microsoft charger and battery devices seperately in Device manager, restart the notebook each time and let Windows reinstall them.

If none of these steps help you at least know you tried what you could.

Btw, the reason why I previously asked;

It is not uncommon for gaming notebooks to be kept permanently connected to the AC adaptor due to the power demands on the iGPU when gaming, the battery though should not quickly deplete when only using the CPUs HD graphics and the charger is turned off.

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Aye checked and then double checked the available drivers here remember to create a new restore point before updating any drivers.

Something else to do, uninstall the Microsoft charger and battery devices seperately in Device manager, restart the notebook each time and let Windows reinstall them.

It is not uncommon for gaming notebooks to be kept permanently connected to the AC adaptor due to the power demands on the iGPU when gaming, the battery though should not quickly deplete when only using the CPUs HD graphics and the charger is turned off.

I was mistaken in my original post. He has the G751JT. I didn't know there was a second letter after the 751. :laughing: I'll work on the battery and charger devices and see if that fixes it. 

aryanalograsso

aryanalograsso

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

This is what I found to uninstall. I restarted the laptop afterwards. It did not seem to fix the issue. Where exactly can I find the other driver to uninstall?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture2.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You only need to uninstall it, restart and Windows reinstalls the driver for it, the same for the charger, as said above, just making sure that you try all available options atm.